The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By mridenour
  • 3 Post By brookfieldangler
  • 3 Post By jpbfly
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 3 Post By brookfieldangler
  • 2 Post By royalcoach

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 10:19 AM

yahootey will become famous soon enoughyahootey will become famous soon enough
Default McMurderer?

This is my first post and you guys have a lot of info on here so thanks for that. My dad and I just booked a week long trip to Lawrence Bay Lodge and I'm going to try pike on the fly. The lodge recommends a fly called the McMurderer but I can't find a pattern anywhere. I'm going to call the lodge but thought someone on here might know of it. Thanks
Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: McMurderer?

Welcome. I don't know the fly but that is sure an interesting name for one. Might be a local variant for something more well known. Chances are someone on here has seen or even tied them.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:42 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Fly number 3
Click the image to open in full size.

Heres a link to the pattern
https://www.flyrecipes.com/Recipes/2...r/View-details

P.S. despite the security warning, the site is safe according to my antivirus programs
mcnerney, jpbfly and mridenour like this.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:48 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough

Ouch....

I am not one for being to overly picky or sensitive about things like fly names or the like...and definitely can laugh along with the others about things so mundane...but this one....grates on me. Perhaps that is why you're not finding it in your searches. Its a little off-colour.

Just sayin' is all.

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 01-22-2014, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum...lots of helpful people here...brookfieldangler is one of them
Old 01-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum and best of luck Pike fishing at the Lawrence Bay Lodge. After looking at that pattern, I'm guessing any big dark streamer pattern would work, especially one of the big articulated patterns. Check out Kelly Galloup's web site for some ideas on big streamers. He also has some tying videos on Youtube that might be of interest.

Edit: Take a look at this streamer tied by fishtooth: Tying flys tonight, here are some pictures to share

Larry
mridenour likes this.

Last edited by mcnerney; 01-22-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:18 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Welcome to the forum and best of luck Pike fishing at the Lawrence Bay Lodge. After looking at that pattern, I'm guessing any big dark streamer pattern would work, especially one of the big articulated patterns. Check out Kelly Galloup's web site for some ideas on big streamers. He also has some tying videos on Youtube that might be of interest.

Edit: Take a look at this streamer tied by fishtooth: Tying flys tonight, here are some pictures to share

Larry
I think the effectiveness of the "McMurderer" fly is in the deer hair head. Have you ever paid attention to the disturbance a deer hair popper will make if you fish it on sinking line? MASSIVE! That thing pushes a ton of water and creates a big bubble. I think that really attracts certain fish like pike. I know it works very much so on smallies and musky. I do think that there are other species that may find this amount of movement to be off putting though. Pike, are extremely aggressive and I doubt they would be scared of it.

However, I think that almost any rabbit strip streamer would work well out there given the super clear water and reputation of aggressive fish.

And thanks, JP!
mcnerney, jpbfly and craigthor like this.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:49 PM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road

I always wanted to invent a killer new fly pattern and name it the....

"Bow-chika-bow-wow"
ted4887 and craigthor like this.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:55 PM

joshw is on a distinguished road

I fished a lot of canadian pike on fly in lakes in Sask. and Manitoba. Early (june) fish were all over black leech patterns and bright pink leech patterns. Other colors had there days but if you are sight fishing ice out pike, pack those two colors. I liked to tie them unweighted and weighted with bead chain and lead dumbell eyes. 4.5-6'' patterns were all that was needed. I liked using magnum rabbit strips on the unweighted for really skinny water. The weighted patterns I tied with standard rabbit strips. If you want some bulk to the heads I liked tying them like John Barr's Bouface. They were easier to cast than patterns that used palmered rabbit for heads. One more thing, GOOD Hooks. My favorite hook is a Diiachi XPoint 452 saltwater hook. This hook penetrated the mouth of the pike extremely easy. The other well known hook would be a Tiemco 811S. The plus side on the Tiemco is they are easy to resharpen while the Diiachi don't resharpen well.