The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This always happens to me...please help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I don't know what the pattern is even. It is a very simple fly. I only remember that it was a size 12 or 14 and had a black body with a white spiral going forward. It had some sparse hackle, don't remember the color of it but I think it was white or a light color. I don't remember if it had a tail.
Mike: If you are like me, you probably don't use soft hackles often, but in some cases they can be deadly especially on the swing. I'm thinking any dark soft hackle might have worked in that situation and wouldn't worry too much about having the specific pattern you used. I'd just tie some up with the general color and size and give them a try the next time out.

Larry
mridenour and jbird like this.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:23 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Mike: If you are like me, you probably don't use soft hackles often, but in some cases they can be deadly especially on the swing. I'm thinking any dark soft hackle might have worked in that situation and wouldn't worry too much about having the specific pattern you used. I'd just tie some up with the general color and size and give them a try the next time out.

Larry
Yeah, that's it exactly. I am thinking that maybe I should keep a few in the fly box. I may be missing out on a secret weapon on some of those tough fishing days.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:44 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
One thing I have found myself doing, when I buy flies, I buy multiples (3+ at a time) so that if I'm in the position where one fly works incredibly well I have others to fall back on. When I get down to one fly...I save it and try something else. That way I have a reference for myself so that I can sit down at the vise and tie some up. I guess that makes me somewhat of a hoarder of sorts?
There are very few universal rules when it comes to fly fishing. One of but a handful of those universal rules are:

+ If you choose to fish the lone copy of a fly pattern from your fly box
-You will instantly start to catch fish
- Shortly thereafter, you will lose the fly
- Shortly after that, your day will end in frustration and aggravation

There is also a corollary to the above rule:

+ If you violate the previous rule, the fly involved will NEVER catch another fish for you

Trust me, this happens every time. NEVER fish the only copy of a fly you have in your fly box. Either tie more copies before you attempt to fish the fly, or just throw it away and save yourself alot of aggravation.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 02-21-2014, 10:39 AM

keithsz is on a distinguished road

Tie up a few different sizes, in varying body dubbing colors, of a general soft hackle. Always tie 5 or 6 of each size in each of say 3 different colors.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:04 PM

myfly is on a distinguished road

Keep it simple and ty the fly as you remember it. Once done just change some little items on the fly ( size - color - sparse..) But just do it after you fished the first pattern.
Look what happens and make some notes ( weather - temperature - waterlevel ect..)
Just do it for a half hour and than switch to your regular flies.
After some time you will end up with a pattern maybe equal as the one you have lost.

Mike
mcnerney and mridenour like this.