The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 10:18 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default This always happens to me...please help.

On my last fishing trip, we had one day that the bites were slow and light. I changed flies a lot. At one point I grabbed a soft hackle fly out of my box and slapped that baby on there. I cast it out and just as it started its swing it got hammered. No light biting or nibbling here, it was crushed.

I got a nice rainbow in and as I was attempting to dislodge the fly from his mouth he jumped out of the net and broke my tippet, swimming off with the one and only fly that I had gotten a brutal strike on all day long.

I don't know what the pattern is even. It is a very simple fly. I only remember that it was a size 12 or 14 and had a black body with a white spiral going forward. It had some sparse hackle, don't remember the color of it but I think it was white or a light color. I don't remember if it had a tail.

Does anyone have a clue what fly this was? I'd love to tie some and see if they will work more than just that one time. So far I am batting a 1.000 with that one....

Any help will be appreciated.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:02 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: This always happens to me...please help.

Start here...Have fun !!!

soft hackle fly patterns - Google Search

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 01-24-2014, 11:08 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Dude, I've been googling for hours. The closest thing I have found is a Zebra Midge Soft Hackle. This was on a straight hook though. Worst case, I can just tie what I can remember. I'm thinking a black floss body with a white floss spiral wrap and then some kind of soft hackle. Pretty sure that is all there was to it.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:13 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
Worst case, I can just tie what I can remember. I'm thinking a black floss body with a white floss spiral wrap and then some kind of soft hackle. Pretty sure that is all there was to it.
Then theres your answer...

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-24-2014, 11:14 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say that I know the name of the fly so I'm no help there to you but give it a lot of thought and tie something similar to it. My guess is that it will work.

One thing I have found myself doing, when I buy flies, I buy multiples (3+ at a time) so that if I'm in the position where one fly works incredibly well I have others to fall back on. When I get down to one fly...I save it and try something else. That way I have a reference for myself so that I can sit down at the vise and tie some up. I guess that makes me somewhat of a hoarder of sorts?
fredaevans, alexs and mridenour like this.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:17 AM

Yeah, it was pretty much just the classic soft hackle pattern in black and white. Duh!

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I can't say that I know the name of the fly so I'm no help there to you but give it a lot of thought and tie something similar to it. My guess is that it will work.

One thing I have found myself doing, when I buy flies, I buy multiples (3+ at a time) so that if I'm in the position where one fly works incredibly well I have others to fall back on. When I get down to one fly...I save it and try something else. That way I have a reference for myself so that I can sit down at the vise and tie some up. I guess that makes me somewhat of a hoarder of sorts?
That makes perfect sense. But I have no recollection of ever buying this fly. I don't know if someone gave it to me or I got it extra in an order from somewhere or what. I usually buy several when I buy them. This was just one of those oddball things.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Not easy to answer your question have a look herehttp://www.stripersonline.com/t/875372/a-smidge-of-midge......Try to tie a some flies which look like the one you had ....but not sure it'll work next time you go fishing...some flies regularly work others ...once in your life
mridenour likes this.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:19 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

That makes sense Mike. I have plenty of those types of flies in my boxes too. Too bad this one magic fly was one of them.

If I were in your position, what would happen to me is, I'd tie up something similar or even locate the actual pattern and then end up with a surplus because they'd not take it again
mridenour and cab like this.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Not easy to answer your question have a look herehttp://www.stripersonline.com/t/875372/a-smidge-of-midge......Try to tie a some flies which look like the one you had ....but not sure it'll work next time you go fishing...some flies regularly work others ...once in your life
That has happened to me before. But all the talk about soft hackles lately and then having the first one I tie on this year get the stuffing knocked out of it makes me think that I should be carrying a few.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
That makes sense Mike. I have plenty of those types of flies in my boxes too. Too bad this one magic fly was one of them.

If I were in your position, what would happen to me is, I'd tie up something similar or even locate the actual pattern and then end up with a surplus because they'd not take it again
That's probably how it will go for me. But it is always impressive to have lots of different flies in the box!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:40 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
Does anyone have a clue what fly this was? I'd love to tie some and see if they will work more than just that one time. So far I am batting a 1.000 with that one....

Any help will be appreciated.
If you are like me, you'll tie up a couple of dozen and they will never work again.

When my friend Jim Greenlee and I used to go to the San Juan, I'd bring my fly tying kit so I could tie up the hot fly of the day at night for the next day. He would kid me that I always had the hot fly, just a day late!!

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy