The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By gt05254
  • 1 Post By siege
  • 1 Post By Liphookedau

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 01:21 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Default Feather wing streamers

I'd like to buy a small assortment of classic feather wing pattern streamers for a display. I'm planning a fly fishing class for our Boy Scout troop. I tie flies to use and pass out to new fishermen, but have never gotten materials ( or skills !) to tie feather wings. Any suggestions on where to pick up a dozen assorted flies at a reasonable price ?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:55 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Feather wing streamers

Couple guys here tie those flies, myself and Gary Tanner.

What patterns and sizes are you interested in

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-09-2014, 05:07 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I plan to use the flies in a display to attract interest, and not to fish them. A dozen flies in classic patterns in something like a size 8 to 10 perhaps.
I have midges, modern streamers, and nymphs to show them, in shadow boxes, but I have not tied any feather wing flies.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan beat me to it. If I was going to buy feather wing streamers for a display there are only two guys I would consider: Eunan and Gary (not in any particular order).

Larry

Old 02-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You already have your suppliers lined up here which is great, if I may........ I would suggest that you shoot for size 4 so that they are large enough to easily demonstrate the great detail that these fellows can put onto a hook. All you have to do is take a look at the streamers Eunan has posted to get what I mean.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-11-2014, 09:50 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

If I can help, I will. For Boy Scouts, talk to me, I'll be there for them.
Gary

P.S. Thanks Eunan and mcnerny for votes of confidence!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:39 PM

Hi, Gary,
Thanks for the reply. I'll need to do a little homework on size and patterns. Most of the flies these young men see are basically common, natural, standard patterns. Basic flies that catch fish. I just want to expand their horizons a bit, with something to stimulate their imagination. About the time they are old enough to start driving and discover girls, it gets pretty hard to hold their attention in scouting. The outdoor program, camping every month, target shooting, and a couple of fishing trips each year help keep them in the program.
P.S.
I visited your blog site and enjoyed it very much. You are a good story teller, a skill I greatly admire !
gt05254 likes this.

Last edited by siege; 02-12-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:46 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I agree Eunan & Gary are Masters of The Feather Winged Streamers however Ard Ties Very Mean Good Looking Streamer Flies mainly for his own use which I've used & caught Fish on.
Brian
gt05254 likes this.