The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By silver creek
  • 2 Post By silver creek
  • 1 Post By strap44

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 02:13 AM

strap44 is on a distinguished road
Default worms

To start, thanks in advance to everyone for be so helpful. 2nd I did spend a good amount of time checking past threads to avoid asking a repeat question (sorry if I missed it). That being said...

Last year I did a majority of my early trout fishing (opens 2 weeks early in the southern counties in PA) with wax worms and my spin rod. On this particular creek and a state lake the wax worms were the way to go, hammered them every time. Im looking to tie flies that look like a wax worm. The most realistic pattern I've found was one a co-worker showed me, made mostly with a rubberband. I can't figure out how to tie the band off at the end and have it look right. also im struggling with accidently covering the eye of the hook, rendering it basically useless for fishing.

Any advice, suggestions, or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 02:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

If I can figure out how to add a photo I have one I can post. But til then, its basically a good area of thread tying down the band, whip finished.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:31 AM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: worms

Having a little trouble visualizing what you're trying and what problems you're running into, but a couple of suggestions ...

Try using latex -- eg, strips cut from a latex glove. Latex is much thinner than rubber bands, so it won't be as bulky and difficult to tie off at the head. If the latex is too thin for the body, you can wrap multiple layers or build up the underbody with thread wraps or a little yarn before wrapping the latex. There's a fly called the "latex caddis larva" that I think is similar to what you want. There's also a pattern called "Vladi's worm" made with latex that's somewhat similar. You can google either of this patterns for pictures and instructions.

Another material you might want to try is teflon plumber's tape. This is the tape that is used on pipe threads to seal and lubricate them. You can wrap it in strips or you can roll / twist it into a rope and then wrap it. Again, it's thinner and less bulky than rubber bands so it's easier to work with. You can use a permanent marker to color the body if you like. Here's an example ...
Click the image to open in full size.

There is a recent thread re: maggots which I believe might be similar to what you are trying to imitate. Take a look at Maggot Wiggler.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by johnstoeckel; 02-15-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:16 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by strap44 View Post
If I can figure out how to add a photo I have one I can post. But til then, its basically a good area of thread tying down the band, whip finished.
First realize the forum doesn't allow uploading a photo directly from your computer to a post on the thread. You can upload to an album and then link to a post, but probably the easiest method is to create an account on one of the photo hosting sites like PhotoBucket, upload your photos there and then link to a post here. If you use Photobucket, and have uploaded your photos there, then the next step is to open your library, then hover your pointer over a photo and you will see a little gear cog icon appear, place your pointer on the gear cog icon and a drop down menu appears, select GET LINKS, when that window appears, select the bottom option IMG CODES, by clicking on that selection, it copies the code to your clipboard. Then go over to the forum and open a thread and select the position you want to insert the photo, then at the top of the area you are typing is a little yellow icon that looks like a mtn scene, click on that and a window appears, do a CNTL-V to paste the code there, then go down and select preview post to make sure your photo has been inserted correctly, if so the press the submit reply button. Sounds kind of complicated, but after you do it once or twice it is pretty simple. If you have a smart phone you can upload your photos from there directly using an app called Tapatalk, but I haven't done it so I can't give the details.

Larry

Old 02-15-2014, 11:05 AM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Using a smartphone with tapatalk to load pics on here is a breeze, much easier than using the PC.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 02-15-2014, 11:22 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

There are two good patterns.

Here are natural wax worms.

You can use chamois to tie a version by leaving off the black bead. Follow the instructions for the chamois caddis pupa below using just the chamois.

http://www.flyfisher.ro/en/chamois-caddis-pupae/

Johnstoeckel posted a good pattern. I suggest using latex from a latex glove which is cheaper and stronger than a condum. This is what the latex glove version looks like

Tie them bulkier on a longer hook and you get a crane fly larva.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 02-15-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:39 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Silver, what type of hooks are used for the flies in that last picture. Are they English bait hook style? I've tied something similar in the past with latex materials. Used the old Mustad 37160 or 37140 style hooks.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-15-2014, 12:29 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Silver, what type of hooks are used for the flies in that last picture. Are they English bait hook style? I've tied something similar in the past with latex materials. Used the old Mustad 37160 or 37140 style hooks.

The pattern above is off the internet and uses a size 10 caddis/scud curve hooks.

Here's a pattern that uses nymph skin over a lead underbody,

Another pattern that can be is Walt's Worm in the correct size. It matches the crane fly larva but in a smaller size it would be close to a wax worm. It uses dubbing of the right color. Counter wrapping with wire would get you a fly that would work.

bigjim5589 and mcnerney like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-15-2014, 01:40 PM

strap44 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys.

Sliver Creek those latex grubs/worms are exactly what im going for.

And im realizing the thread looks like its going to be visible no matter what so with the thinner latex maybe ill just need less. And it wont cover the eyelet. Also maybe new thread color will help me out.

Really appreciate it everyone. Cant wait for the season to kick off

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Downloaded tapatalk and it became so easy to add a picture. Anyways that's one of the ones I tied last night. Its not a great picture. But the head area gets too build up and im not sure how then I am going to tie it to my leader/tippet.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
mcnerney likes this.