The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By james w 3 3
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 5 Post By jaybo41
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 05:18 PM

95chevy will become famous soon enough
Default What is a good streamer design

I went fishing with some friends today and was using dry flies. They didn't attract the fish too much buy my friends streamer was. I don't have any streamers yet so I'm not sure what is the going knowledge of them.

Do I need to match them to a specific hatch or is it just see what works? And what's your favorite for trout? Thank you for any info.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:29 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What is a good streamer design

There's a wealth of info and types available, I'll just share my favorite.

1 1/2" of thin spindly black marabou with two strips of flash, a black dubbed body, unweighted, tied on a #12 short shank hook. Fished with little 1" pulls from a float tube. The way it darts around in the water is irresistible.
Hardyreels, mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of great streamer patterns out there. One of my favorites in streams with leeches is John Barr's Slump buster. If you tie, you can find the instructions on Charlie Craven's Flybox. You might also like to take a look at the patterns that Kelly Galloup does, just Google his name and you will find his fly shop or do a search on YouTube, he has a number of tying videos. I also like the work that Richard Strolis does: Catching-Shadows

Larry
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:02 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Streamers often imitate baitfish in your local stream, but not always. You should read up on what is readily available there as a starting point. Leeches are incredibly productive too, look into leech patterns.

Then there are attractor patterns that don't really replicate much of anything but do get the fish's attention.

If you wanted a suggestion with something to start with, it's pretty hard to beat a Bugger. I like mine in Black & Olive the best. You can cover your bases pretty well with Black, Olive, Brown & White.

Bunny Zonkers & Slumpbusters are good producers as well. Have a look through this thread, if you tie you can replicate, if not, it should at least give you some ideas as to what many of us are fishing with.

What have you been tying today?

I didn't see a location on your profile, if you fill that out, you will likely get suggestions more specific to your locale.
Joni, Hardyreels, mcnerney and 2 others like this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 04-27-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:13 PM

jw12 is on a distinguished road

Ive had the best luck with streamers with rubber legs coming off the sides, adds quite the action.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Larger softhackles as in Jack Gartside. There is so much movement there.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

What kind of guy would I be if I just glossed over this thread and didn't comment

I like 3 types although there are many more; Feather-wing, Sculpin imitations and bright attractor styles.

Feather wing streamers like the nine Three & Gray Ghost do a great job of looking like a little fish streaking along as well as a Bunny fur or wool headed Sculpin fly will. Those 2 types look like food and in my experience so far they work real well. The attractor type can be as simple as a Mickey Finn or as complex as an Intruder style tied on a shank.

I don't have any pictures of a mickey Finn but can substitute a 'Thor' instead.

Feather Gray Ghost Streamer; imitates a smelt - an alewife, or many other small baitfish.
Click the image to open in full size.

A Sculpin Made with Bunny & Fox hair, tied on a shank cut from a salmon hook. Imitates the Sculpin minnows found throughout North America.

Attractor Fly, 'Thor' on a Tube; it is like a spinning lure, it is to attract a fish and maybe get it to bite.

Those may be different than what you see in shops or what you may currently make but are posted to put pictures to what I wrote.

Ard
bigjim5589 and jaybo41 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-27-2014, 06:12 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard, for a guy who hasn't been tying tubes all that long, you really have it down buddy. Thor is a real beauty! The Gray Ghost is a beauty as well. I've seen these with the peacock herl riding below the shank and some riding above as a topper above the feather wing. Which is true to the original and is there an advantage to either?
Old 04-27-2014, 10:25 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

One of the great features of this site is the variety of answers to a question. All of which are correct when it pertains to favorite patterns.

Clouser Minnow. These are tied on size 1 plastic worm hooks. Scale them down or up as you need. If you wish to go small, consider a softer material such as fox fur. Check out Bob Clouser's "Foxy Minnow" series.

The Clouser Minnows in this box are all tied with either fox or coyote fur, bead chain eyes and Polar Flash. Not specifically a trout pattern, but they would work well for trout. I use these for many species.
The other side are bead head Woolly Buggers in 2 of my favorite colors.

These are not my pictures. I got them from the WWW. I pirated these from a fellow who I've purchased similar flies from. However, this style of pattern would work well on trout, especially big ones!

Some of these were purchased, some I tied. I primarily use them for bass, but again they'll work for trout!

Another Clouser style. This is my favorite "leech". Nothing but ostrich herl, tied very full & some flash added. I like flashabou in copper, bronze, gold or black or a combination of these.

Any type of "Zonker". This one is a bit more elaborate than a basic Zonker, but again trout will eat them!
Joni likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-28-2014, 04:32 PM

arreflections is on a distinguished road

Neat streamer pics. I like clousers myself but hard to beat the venerable wooly bugger fished as a streamer.