The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By james w 3 3
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 3 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 05:18 PM

95chevy will become famous soon enough
Default What is a good streamer design

I went fishing with some friends today and was using dry flies. They didn't attract the fish too much buy my friends streamer was. I don't have any streamers yet so I'm not sure what is the going knowledge of them.

Do I need to match them to a specific hatch or is it just see what works? And what's your favorite for trout? Thank you for any info.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:29 PM

james w 3 3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is a good streamer design

There's a wealth of info and types available, I'll just share my favorite.

1 1/2" of thin spindly black marabou with two strips of flash, a black dubbed body, unweighted, tied on a #12 short shank hook. Fished with little 1" pulls from a float tube. The way it darts around in the water is irresistible.
Hardyreels, mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of great streamer patterns out there. One of my favorites in streams with leeches is John Barr's Slump buster. If you tie, you can find the instructions on Charlie Craven's Flybox. You might also like to take a look at the patterns that Kelly Galloup does, just Google his name and you will find his fly shop or do a search on YouTube, he has a number of tying videos. I also like the work that Richard Strolis does: Catching-Shadows

Larry
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.

Larry
Old 04-06-2014, 09:02 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Streamers often imitate baitfish in your local stream, so you should read up on what is readily available there, but not always. Leeches are incredibly productive too, look into leech patterns.

Then there are attractor patterns that don't really replicate much of anything but do get the fish's attention.

If you wanted a suggestion with something to start with, it's pretty hard to beat a Bugger. I like mine in Black & Olive the best. You can cover your bases pretty well with Black, Olive, Brown & White.

Bunny Zonkers & Slumpbusters are good producers as well. Have a look through this thread, if you tie you can replicate, if not, it should at least give you some ideas as to what many of us are fishing with.

What have you been tying today?

I didn't see a location on your profile, if you fill that out, you will likely get suggestions more specific to your locale.
Hardyreels, mcnerney and ejsell like this.