The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2014, 10:38 PM

bambam is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ultra Violet Flies?

I just got back from fishing the Kenai for reds. I tied up several sockeye lightnings with UV thread and some custom krill flies with white wacko hackle that glows under black light. The water was muddier than usual this year due to heavy rain and warmer weather. I caught more fish than the other 4 guys with me and took all their money for the first fish each day . Most of them were using yarn flies or Coho flies. My flies out produced all of them. The Coho flies actually did not produce any fish. Was it the sparser fly pattern, color, UV, more confidence? I don't know but by the end of the week most were using my flies and catching more fish. I'm tying more for next year. I don't think UV is the be all, end all but it does seem to work better in off color water.