The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By hairwing530
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 4 Post By limpline

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 01:43 PM

zelly is on a distinguished road
Default Best quality trout flies?

Where do you guys buy your flies from? Here in Norway there are almost no special fly fishing stores, so most people make their own or buy from brands like umpqua. But do you know any good shops that sell quality collections of trout flies, with or without boxes, that can ship to Norway for a fair price? I found a couple on ebay:

1. This looks of good quality
2. Is this worth a buy?

I am looking for a mix of dry/wet/nymph flies for my friend that lost all of his flies
Old 04-24-2014, 02:06 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Best quality trout flies?

I would take a look at these from here on this forum: Bigger & Better... "The Fly Box 90!"

However, there will be additional shipping costs I would guess.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Zelly: For the price on those two links you can't go wrong, but from the photos it is really hard to tell the real quality. That's one of the reasons I like to tie my own flies, for one I know the materials used, the hook quality I used, and if I don't get the proportions correct, then it is my own fault. But I understand where you are coming from, I'd buy one of those two listed and take a chance, you won't be out that much if they turn out to be of lesser quality then you were expecting.

Larry

Old 04-24-2014, 02:38 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

On another forum, there's a thread going right now about this and the consensuses is that the Asian made Umpqua flies are probably the best you can buy. Better than good quality domestic fly shop flies.
Umpqua uses top quality materials and the people that tie the flies tie thousands of just a handful of patterns per person.

Personally I've tied all my own flies since... forever... so I'm not much of an authority myself.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:41 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

zelly,

I don't know if you'd consider my flies "top quality"-- a lot of the guys here on the forum own a set or two, however, and seem to like them --but if it's flies you need, I can tie you up a box or two. And, as for the shipping? All I ask is that the cost factor is covered, as I try to keep the cost of my boxes and their collections at a good price point.

Give them a look, and if you're interested, I'll check into the best and most economical way to get them to you...

Tight lines always, zelly...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

PS And, B.E.F.? Thanks for the plug. Much appreciated...
mcnerney and zelly like this.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Zelly: I can vouch for the quality of Jerry's flies, you will be very pleased with what you receive, there is nothing substandard in the quality or workmanship. Here are a couple photos from one of his two sided box of 80 dry flies:
Click the image to open in full size.

zelly and skrap like this.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:29 PM

zelly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
On another forum, there's a thread going right now about this and the consensuses is that the Asian made Umpqua flies are probably the best you can buy. Better than good quality domestic fly shop flies.
Umpqua uses top quality materials and the people that tie the flies tie thousands of just a handful of patterns per person.

Personally I've tied all my own flies since... forever... so I'm not much of an authority myself.
Umpqua are great Ive heard, but in Norway they are very expensive and you almost have to buy only one and one, or maybe a 6-10-pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
zelly,

I don't know if you'd consider my flies "top quality"-- a lot of the guys here on the forum own a set or two, however, and seem to like them --but if it's flies you need, I can tie you up a box or two. And, as for the shipping? All I ask is that the cost factor is covered, as I try to keep the cost of my boxes and their collections at a good price point.

Give them a look, and if you're interested, I'll check into the best and most economical way to get them to you...

Tight lines always, zelly...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

PS And, B.E.F.? Thanks for the plug. Much appreciated...
Wow, that is very nice of you! I saw your album "flies 2014" and those looked great! If you can send me a PM later we can discuss everything. He doesnt need alot of flies to begin with, just so he has the overall basic insects covered, and for sure not 4-5 of the same identical flies. If you like to do this and you feel its not so much work, I'm sure we can agree on flies and price. I think he can get a fly box from me, so that shipping will only be via letter Maybe I also will ask for some flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Zelly: I can vouch for the quality of Jerry's flies, you will be very pleased with what you receive, there is nothing substandard in the quality or workmanship. Here are a couple photos from one of his two sided box of 80 dry flies:

Looks very nice. What I meant by "top quality" was that the threads/material didnt get messed up after a few casts/fish. Last assortment I bought didnt last very long...I have some of them left, and just got some flies from Stu's superior flies from New Zealand. They are expensive and have a special look on them, so who knows if they will be good for norwegian trout!
Old 04-24-2014, 03:58 PM

limpline is on a distinguished road

I second the motion of Jerry's flies being of top quality. I am hard on flies and these take a beating.
If you were to lay his pack next to one from Orvis, you couldn't tell them apart.