The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 09:17 AM

bdon7722 is on a distinguished road
Default Best bass flies?

Hello I have never bass fished before and want to put together a nice box. If you could post some pictures or just give some info it would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
Old 04-28-2014, 09:32 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best bass flies?

I replied in your other post, but to aid in your search here's some links to past threads. BTW, as I mentioned in the other thread, flies for bass do not always have to be "bass" flies. Most of the ones I use do multiple species duty!

What is a good streamer design

Stripers

When do you like to fish poppers?

hooks for largemouth

bass flies

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 AM

andrew_rigsby is on a distinguished road

Clouser minnow and wooly buggers. Cant go wrong with either and I always catch at least one bass on both. Just make sure you are fishing where the bass are. Most of the time I have learned it isnt that I am fishing the streamer incorrectly but that I am fishing in the wrong spot.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:21 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Personally, if i could only pick one fly for Bass, it would be a Deer Hair Mouse/rat.

Click the image to open in full size.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:13 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Mouse flies look cool but they're really over the top.
There's more to them than necessary.

Mice are not comfortable in the water. It's not their natural habitat. If and when they find themselves in the water, they're going to be swimming like crazy to get out.
What a bass, or any other fish for that matter is going to see is some creature swimming and making a wake. The bass is drawn to the commotion by the wake and not by what the popper looks like.
Any top water fly of the right size is going to look pretty much the same. Mouse fly, gurgler, Sneaky Pete. It really doesn't matter.

Much of the time largemouth actually like their topwater food items to sit still. At least once in a while. Largemouth will go right up to a stationary popper and "eyeball" it given a chance.
Poppers for largemouth don't need to be an exact imitation, the bug just has to appear alive even while sitting still. That's why poppers for largemouth have appendages like rubber legs or long hackles.

Smallmouth poppers don't need all that. Smallmouth like to chase their food. They want it to move.
You want your smallmouth poppers to be streamlined in order to cast at a distance further than you need to cast for largemouth, and they need to make a wake while being retrieved... that's it.
skrap likes this.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:02 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Mouse flies look cool but they're really over the top.....There's more to them than necessary..
Oh I agree 100%....The ears, eyes, (tail debatable) really pointless IMO....But, at least around here they work like nothing else, and i say that having cast similar brighter flies, working them the same and you'll switch up then fish on.

My guess is the proliferation of mice around here has somethign to do with it. In fairness however it might simply be nothing more then how you subconsciously work them....Instead of long strips, or jerks, little tiny 2-3" long strips. In kind I suspect that the natural hair color and shape hints at a real mouse more than anything. IOW, one that just fell from a tree.

Is it as versitile as say a plain popper? Probably not. Yet you among our lilly pads never get a chance to find out if it's good for anything else.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.