The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Mnflyfish
  • 1 Post By joe1985
  • 4 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 09:29 PM

joe1985 is on a distinguished road
Default New to the sport, need advice.

Hey everyone, I'm just starting out fly fishing and have a trip planned for the end of May. I have very little idea on what types of flies to use for this time of year. I'll be fishing the Lochsa river in Idaho near the Montana border. Any advice would help out a ton, I'm a complete novice and would appreciate the boost. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:58 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Re: New to the sport, need advice.

What do you have for a rod n reel? Best advice is to start practicing your cast now, before you go in your trip.

Sent from my iPhone
fredaevans likes this.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:22 PM

A 6 weight rod with a Cabelas prestige plus reel. Not a great set up but I've been practicing a lot in the common area near my house. I've been before with a friends gear, just not sure about what types of patterns would work best for the time of year and location.
Mnflyfish likes this.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:15 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'd start with a hatch chart like this one:
Lochsa River, ID
It will give you a general idea of what patterns to have for a given time of year. Based on that one I'd do the streamers (sculpin and baitfish), midges, BWO (blue wing olives), and the spotted caddis. I've never fished the river but this gives an idea of what is generally hatching. The best would be to phone a fly shop near the river to learn from them. Stopping by when you start your trip would be a good idea as well. The timing of hatches varies by weather, etc so you won't really know what is hatching until around the time you go fishing.

Welcome by the way.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:42 AM

I'll do that. Thank again for the advice, I appreciate it.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:09 AM

BmoreOut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1985 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm just starting out fly fishing and have a trip planned for the end of May. I have very little idea on what types of flies to use for this time of year. I'll be fishing the Lochsa river in Idaho near the Montana border. Any advice would help out a ton, I'm a complete novice and would appreciate the boost. Thanks.
As a noobie myself, I recommend that you find a local guide and get out on a river for at least four hours with someone who knows a lot about fly fishing. I went out and bought gear, read a lot, watched videos and hit the river. After four trips with not a single hint of luck, I set up a trip with a guide. After that, I realized I never would have caught anything without the instruction. From high sticking, to wet fly sweeps, to dry flying and steamers, there is a lot to learn and a lot of different techniques. My two cents.

sent from space, the dark part
Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 AM
mridenour

Joe,
Where do you live? Maybe someone on here will take you fishing before you go out West.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:42 PM

fishsalmo56 is on a distinguished road

Good advice above.
NOTHING beats the advice of locals, guides and the guys in the local fly shops. Ask all of your questions and the good shop guys and guides will answer all of them truthfully, although sometimes you may have to sift through some bs. And yes, getting a guide can be (what seems to be ) expensive, but it is money well spent and will propel your learning ahead quickly. Some fly shops have casting clinics and fishing clinics and tying clinics. Search out what might be available in your area.
And there is always experience. And developing your own style.
Most of all, enjoy this great sport and way of life.