The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 10:58 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Flybox Organization

I don't have as many as PT, but do have several.

I like this style for flies I'll carry while fishing. You can find these on Ebay & on several fly shop sites at reasonable prices.
Click the image to open in full size.

This one is a "Fox Box" I've had for many years.

This one was made by Flambeau, but not sure it's still being produced. Foam on one side with slots on the other. I have a couple of these.

The rest on my boxes are various size Plano or Flambeau.
stenacron likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:59 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

A few more!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:57 PM

saucebox11 is on a distinguished road

wow you guys have an insane amount of flies, i have some work to do.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:18 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

No you don't, and anyone with 500,000 flies will tell you the same .

I do not carry so many flies with me at any point, but I do keep 1-2 extra boxes in the truck in case I fall in and lose my main box. The main box I carry is just a small, flambeau foam box with magnetic closure. I hate the ones with slots -- just a personal preference. They sit in my drawer collecting dust.

For trout, I mostly carry a variety of soft hackles with and without tungten beads, #14-16 CDC and elk dries in various shades, a few hackle spinners, and some Al's tricos in #22-24 and Al's rats in #22-24. Oh, and just a few green weenies as the only nymph I carry. Also, I keep just a few foam terrestrials...though there's not much I get with beetles/ants that I don't pick up with my darker EHC dries. So I could do without those honestly.

My flies feature a lot of soft hackle fibers and/or CDC fibers. Those are my choice materials -- I subscribe to the "impression of life" philosophy vs. the matching every damn thing under the sun philosophy.

I rarely fish nymphs or streamers for trout. Just a personal preference, though I'm not against the idea -- I just kind of learned that I never do it where i trout fish and they go untouched...so why bother? Well, okay - honestly I hate dragging nymphs on the bottom and knocking off algae all day -- I think it sucks and it ruins the fun for me. However, I do fish dry dropper rigs pretty regularly. That's my "nymphing".

My wife nymphs like a woman possessed, and carries tungsten putty and many, many WD-40 nymphs in sizes #22-14.

Oddly, I fish almost nothing but small streamers for warm water species in my backyard.
stenacron likes this.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:09 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

There are some great fly collections represented in the photos/posts above. Even for all the tying that I do-- some for me, most for others --I'd be hard pressed to come close to the impressive arrays of flies that have been shown.

What I like most is the organization of them all. When the Trout Opener comes around, the boxes start the season duly sorted and at the ready. But, within a few months, far too many of my boxes are in complete disarray, with more patterns "crossing over" to the wrong boxes than I care to count. Still, the off-season sorting does give one an excuse to spend a few hours with the fly boxes...

It's an "ebb and flow" sort of thing, I guess...
comeonavs and repperson29 like this.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:05 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post

My flies feature a lot of soft hackle fibers and/or CDC fibers. Those are my choice materials -- I subscribe to the "impression of life" philosophy vs. the matching every damn thing under the sun philosophy.
Pretty much sums up my approach as well.

HERE-HERE!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 10-08-2014, 10:54 AM

slips74 is on a distinguished road

I use in my vest:

1. Dries - (1) Tacky Fly Box
2. Nymphs - (1) Tacky Fly Box
3. Midges - (1) Wright/McGill Magnetic Box
4. Buggers, Wets & Terrestrials - (1) Tacky Fly Box
5. Spent Wings - (1) Myran 12 compartment

and have (2) Umpqua Large & (1) Bug Luggage "Trout" in my tackle bag for random and/or rarely used stuff.