The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 11:24 AM

sheepdog will become famous soon enoughsheepdog will become famous soon enough
Default Thoughts: Parachute Stimulator?

Hey guys,

I've been tossing around the idea in my head for a little while now of a Parachute Stimulator. I know that most of us would probably agree that, for the most part, Parachute versions of a fly are more successful than their non-parachute counterparts. Maybe I am completely wrong about that but I'm basing that statement off my personal experience and the experience of MANY seasoned fly fishermen I have spoken with. Now the most common argument that I have heard about parachutes being more productive, aside from their visibility to us, is that since the hackle is wrapped horizontally on top of the shank rather than vertically around the shank, the fly sits lower in the surface film. Because the fly is floating on top of the film suspended by the vertical hackle and the tail, it imitates an adult fly that's ready to take off at any second. So because the Parachutes sit lower in the surface film, they imitate a cripple rather than a healthy adult fly. This is why it is assumed that parachutes are more effective than a non-parachuted version of the same fly. ie: an Adams vs a Parachute Adams....

Again, this is just an opinion of many of the fly fishermen I have spoken with about this topic as well as many articles I've read too. So please don't be too harsh on me if I am completely wrong.

And then there's the stimulator. I've always loved fishing them because they seem to never fail me. It's such an effective pattern that imitates lots of different bugs and when nothing else worked on top, I have been able to get fish to take a nice meaty Stimi. So, all that being said, I have been wondering if anyone has seen/fished/or tied a Stimulator with a Parachute. I've seen a picture of one but it was just for something a guy tied to be different.

Thanks for your time!

-Gary
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:40 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Thoughts: Parachute Stimulator?

Gary,

Given my all-out love affair with 'chutes, I'm given to adapting almost any fly to a parachute style offering during my hours at the vise. So, as to the question of a stimulator 'chute, my reply would be "why not??"

Jerry, aka hairwing530
fyshstykr and sheepdog like this.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I like the idea, let's see what ya got Gary!

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 08-11-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
Gary,

Given my all-out love affair with 'chutes, I'm given to adapting almost any fly to a parachute style offering during my hours at the vise. So, as to the question of a stimulator 'chute, my reply would be "why not??"

Jerry, aka hairwing530
I like that answer! I tell you what... if you tie some up, I'll be more than happy to put it to use and let you know how it worked! lol
Old 08-11-2014, 12:49 PM

hokiehunter07 will become famous soon enough

I feel like a parachute stimulator would end up looking almost identical on the water to this which is supposed to a parachute hopper:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I like the idea, let's see what ya got Gary!
Haha. I would have given them a shot if I had fly tying stuff still but a "buddy" of mine a while back made off with my whole kit. he said he would mail it to me if I sent him the cash to do it... There's definite trust issues there, unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehunter07 View Post
I feel like a parachute stimulator would end up looking almost identical on the water to this which is supposed to a parachute hopper:

Click the image to open in full size.
You're probably right. But I still would like to give it a shot. After all, the march brown and the Adams look similar but I've had trout refuse one in favor of the other.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

The PMX looks almost exactly like what I had imagined the bug to turn out... I guess someone has already beaten me to it...

http://www.bigyflyco.com/images/dryflies/pmx.jpg
Old 08-12-2014, 06:57 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

sheepdog,

Even though the "PMX" exists, don't under-estimate the power of the "hand-tie." A slight tweak of "personalization" here or there often takes a good pattern and makes it even better!

When I get an hour or two of "play time" at the vise, I'll work on a variation or two, and name it the "SD-1," in your honor, of course...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
cpiercem likes this.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:38 AM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road

I'm sure a parachute Stimie would work, but would it still be a Stimie?

I tend to think of Stimies as a high floating and high visibility fly that can be twitched or skittered. If you drop the palmer body hackle and go with a parachute hackle in place of the heavy hackle collar, it just doesn't seem like a Stimie any longer.

But there are no rules and you could tie a parachute Stimie or even a no hackle Stimie if it suits your purposes.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
sheepdog,

Even though the "PMX" exists, don't under-estimate the power of the "hand-tie." A slight tweak of "personalization" here or there often takes a good pattern and makes it even better!

When I get an hour or two of "play time" at the vise, I'll work on a variation or two, and name it the "SD-1," in your honor, of course...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
I appreciate that, Jerry! I wish I still had my fly tying kit so I could work on one as well. Let me know how it works. The name is killer too!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:34 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

Beat me to it, I agree that a parachute hopper is pretty much the same thing.