The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 09:10 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: time for me to buck up

For Dries I tie some black fur ants and some adam's (parachute or traditional.) For Wets I would tie a gold ribbed hares ear, but in black and it works as a great stone fly imitation. Then some San Juan worms and and copper johns. I would also do a streamer or two in grey/white.

I've had some good success with these flies an a variety of species of fish, and they're all pretty easy to tie. (Except the traditional adams. grrrr.....)
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 08-17-2010, 06:10 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

You really can't go wrong with copper johns, it's one of the more popular flies here on some missouri trout streams. I like to tie them in red, copper, black, blue and green. Wire is relatively inexpensive and one roll of it will tie a ton of flies. Some pheasant tails and hares ears in different colors should cover your nymph needs really. Tie bigger and smaller to represent different species.

I would tie up a few cracklebacks also which can be fished as a dry or streamer, but a lot of places around me sell them with a tinsel body instead of chenille or dubbing, the tinsel for stuffing easter baskets is perfect i've found, with lots of shine and comes in different color variations.

some foam hoppers in various colors and patterns as well as some madam x hoppers, foam beetle patterns and parachute ants, stimis and humpy's would be good dry flies and can be tied in different sizes and colors. I would also say some BWO's and adam's wouldn't hurt to tie atleast a few of as well as some comparaduns.

Streamers: Get creative with what youve got, pine squirrell zonker is an awesome tyin material as it's shorter and ticker hair tan rabbit.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:30 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Post Re: time for me to buck up

If you are serious about "bucking up", begin to understand the creatures that inhabit the water being Fly Fished. Insects, scuds and bait fish will be the primary starting place for ties...Learn the critters, tying then takes on an entirely different perspective...

This is one of the better books that teaches one how to do this:

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 08-31-2010, 07:33 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Wooly buggers in various colors, copper johns, elk hair caddis, adams, prince nymphs, PT Nymphs and some scuds and you will catch fish if you put them in the right place. I just noted that I fished a cinnamon and green wooly bugger to imitate crawfish, I fish green copper johns to imitate damsel nymphs, I have caught as many fish on a standard copper john as I have on anything else in both the high lakes in Ca and the Truckee in Reno. it is mostly about size, color and presentation. I truly believe you could fish with no more then 10 different patterns (in various colors and sizes) and catch fish.

Dave
Old 08-31-2010, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
I truly believe you could fish with no more then 10 different patterns (in various colors and sizes) and catch fish.
Dave,
I don't think your very far off in this thought process, and I tend to agree with you but it doesn't stop me from carrying the other 9,472 patterns in the gear bag with us. lol!!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Flyfisher117-- you've gotten great advice from the guys--

Here's a link to one of Charlie Craven's step by steps for a killer streamer pattern called Barr's Slumpbuster.

Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

It's tied similar to a Zonker, but instead of rabbit it uses strips of pine squirrel, allowing you to tie it on smaller size hooks than you'd use with rabbit.

I tie them mostly on size 8 hooks using a Mustad 9674 size 8 (less expensive than Tiemco if you're on a tight budget) or whatever hooks you use for buggers if you have some laying around.
Cone: gold or copper size " Extra Small " or " 5/32" " (to fit most size 4-8 hooks).
Non toxic "lead" wire for weight .025" diameter (or thereabouts-- ideally it should be about same diameter as hook shank)
Rib: "Brassie" size wire
Body: Gold or copper body braid or diamond braid, color to match bead
Pine Squirrel natural or olive

There's also a bunch of dry flies you could tie that don't use expensive dry fly hackle.

Some use short fine deer hair sold as "comparadun hair" or "coastal deer hair" for wings that also provide flotation:

X Caddis (for caddis): Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Sparkle Dun (for mayflies) Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

By varying hook size, dubbing color and wing shade ( bleached light medium and dark grayish brown) you can imitate pretty much any caddis or mayfly you come across. These patterns are particularly good in slow to medium fast water.

Another similar and older pattern (that the above patterns evolved from) is called the Haystack, and it's a good pattern for rougher faster water. The Haystack was invented by Fran Betters for the Ausable in NY

Haystack: The Haystack: One of our Favorite Smoky Mountain Trout Flies | R and R Fly Fishing

Fran also invented another great fast water fly called "The Usual" that uses the fur from a snowshoe hare's foot for flotation. Super easy to tie, floats like a cork, and very effective.
The Usual: How to tie: The Usual, Fly Pattern, Nymphs, Tying Instruction, Recipe, Fly Fishing

Good luck!