The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default time for me to buck up

i hate buying flys especially because they are so expensive and i can tie most for a 1/5 of the cost. the 3 boxes are my wet fly box, my dry fly box, and my streamer box. most of the flys in my wetfly/nymph are my own little flys that ive just had work in early spring on my local little river. but it does have a bunch of phesant tails, hairs ears, brassies, and price nymphs that ive either tied or bought.

Click the image to open in full size.

my dry box is quite sad for themore common flys it has is 3 parachute hoppers, 3 BWOs, 5 elk hair caddis, 3 grifiths gnats, couple stimies, a renegade, a royal wulf, and a few of my own creation flys that i doubt will work. and then its a foam ripple box so it likes to ruin the hackle on all of my flys.

and then my streamer box has two white buggers, 2 cats whiskers, 4 olive and black buggers,2 black buggers, an egg sucking leech thats black (i just lost my purple one the other day), two very colorful buggers one red and green the other red and pink, a mickey finn and a double humpy dry fly.

so if anyone can help me get a few more patterns to tie or buy it would be appreciated. i dont like tying drys so ill buy them but i love tying wets nymphs and streamers.
and my streamer box

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

oh and i also have a box full of eggs that ive been tying and i want to fill it to the top with eggs just for fun, i have 4 girdle bugs in a little box of their own, and i have another little box with some tiny size 22 dry flys i got because i thought id just have them for when ever i go gold fish fishing.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:18 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: time for me to buck up

i would say to just start tying and stocking up.

Pick say four patterns for box you want to tie, then tie four of each in three different sizes... it should cover a lot of and you will stock up relatively quickly
Old 08-09-2010, 06:35 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough

but thats my problem im not sure what to tie. im thinking prince nymph, for nymphs. either elk hair caddis or renegade or both for drys, and streamers im not sure maybe zonker flys.

i just cant afford the hackle for dry flys i usually just buy the whiting 100 packs because they are cheaper and all but honestly they are kind of a rip off
Old 08-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

flyfisher117: Why not take a look at the river reports from the fly shops in your area that you fish. That should give you an idea on what flies they recommend for this time of year, then tie up a few and give them a go on your local water. I like Charlie Craven's site for trout patterns. He has 161 patterns listed with very good detail and a listing of materials needed:
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Larry
Old 08-09-2010, 11:58 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: time for me to buck up

Hi Flyfisher117,
You can represent different species simply by varying the colors and sizes. Try tying a Pheasant Tail in natural brown, olive, and black. Pheasant tail feathers are inexpensive, and one tail feather can tie a lot of flies. Or try tying a Hare's Ear nymph in different colors and sizes. So you don't have to use rabbit masks, take the hair off of a zonker strip and buy rabbit dubbing packs. Years ago, I tied up a modified #8 Hare's Ear as a stonefly nymph.

One way to save on tying dry flies is to not tie them at all, or at least, tie only a few styles. The only dry flies that I tie regularly are the Elk Hair Caddis, X-Caddis, Griffith's Gnats, Chernobyl Ants, and Chernobyl Hoppers. My eyes are getting worse, and I don't want to deal with the fine detail of mayflies.

The reality is that you don't save much money on tying flies especially when dry flies are involved. The expense to buy your vise, tools, and materials (especially dry fly hackles) adds up. Also you need to consider your time spent at the vise as an expense.

MP
Old 08-15-2010, 11:41 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

flyfisher-You're in Idaho in August! You should be cranking out hoppers!
Get over to the dollar store or the hobby craft store and get some foam sheets, then get some orange rubber legs (orange rubberbands cut to size or replacement bass bug skirts are cheaper than the flyshop legs.) PM me and I'll send you some gray mule deer hair & some turkey feather for wings.
Cut strips of yellow foam and wrap it for the body, then a wing, add some legs and a folded piece of brown foam for the head. TA Da! big, high floating hopper.
I'd add photos here but my camera bit it.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:40 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I'm no expert but if I had to pick 4 things to tie it would be Elk Hair Caddis or Stimulator, a BWO of some sort, a Hare's ear (You choose the color) and a wooly bugger.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
flyfisher-You're in Idaho in August! You should be cranking out hoppers!
Get over to the dollar store or the hobby craft store and get some foam sheets, then get some orange rubber legs (orange rubberbands cut to size or replacement bass bug skirts are cheaper than the flyshop legs.) PM me and I'll send you some gray mule deer hair & some turkey feather for wings.
Cut strips of yellow foam and wrap it for the body, then a wing, add some legs and a folded piece of brown foam for the head. TA Da! big, high floating hopper.
I'd add photos here but my camera bit it.
no lol im in utah right now wont be home till second week of september. and i do like hopper fishing but dont get to fly fish much when im home because it seems either im always busy or my parents are always busy.. theres one hopper im working on learning but its tough its the charlie boy hopper
Old 08-16-2010, 02:49 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

flyfisher117,
That foam I recomended makes great stimulators, too.
I'll try to set up for some photos tonight or tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
flyfisher117,
That foam I recomended makes great stimulators, too.
I'll try to set up for some photos tonight or tomorrow.
ok ill keep a watch for it.