The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2015, 12:12 AM

dragon11 is on a distinguished road
Default lead sizing

Where do you buy the lead you use for fly tying? I found .62 sized lead at Lowes, which seems to thick for wrapping around a hook. I noticed on some of the other threads thinner lead is used, like .15. I don't mind ordering it online, but I would like to find some locally. Would Hobby Lobby or JoAnn Fabrics have lead wire that thin?
Old 06-28-2015, 06:47 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: lead sizing

My friend Google says no, it is not available at Hobby Lobby or Jo-Ann's. This really is a specialty item to add weight, I can't think of any other use for it.
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:54 AM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road

Fly Shop -- local or online
Old 06-28-2015, 07:37 AM

wolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nice

Make sure that you're not using lead solder. This might seem funny to most old timers, but I've seen some new tiers use it, not realizing what the acid can do to a hook and material.

I have enough that I don't have to look for it any more. However, I use lead flashing more and more these days.

Take the lead flashing and put it on an anvil. Pound it really thin.
Wrap the hook shank with thread and epoxy and fold, then pinch the lead around it. Pinch flat with non serrated pliers and after it's hardened, but to shape.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfglen View Post
Make sure that you're not using lead solder. This might seem funny to most old timers, but I've seen some new tiers use it, not realizing what the acid can do to a hook and material.

I have enough that I don't have to look for it any more. However, I use lead flashing more and more these days.

Take the lead flashing and put it on an anvil. Pound it really thin.
Wrap the hook shank with thread and epoxy and fold, then pinch the lead around it. Pinch flat with non serrated pliers and after it's hardened, but to shape.
I appreciate you telling me that. The lead I bought from Lowes was Acid Core Solder. I'll take it back and get the stuff I need. I've tried Gander Mountain and Field And Stream, which are close to my house. I'm starting to learn they don't have a lot of specialty fly tying materials. I'll order it online or try an Orvis Store, which is about an hour away from me.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:29 AM

repperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to behold

Only place I've been able to find it is field and stream or a dedicated fly shop/online.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2015, 09:15 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

As a general rule...

Weight: Lead wire, sized appropriately for the hook.

.035- hook sizes 4 and bigger

.030-hook sizes 6 and 4

.025-hook sizes 6 through 10

.020-hook sizes 12 and 14

.015-hook sizes 14 and 16

.010-hook sizes 18 and smaller

Lead Wire Round | Bob Marriott's Flyfishing Store

Marriott's also has it in .010...

Tungsten thread may also be used for small hooks. One may order it direct from here:

https://spiritriver.com/materials/ty...ungsten-thread

Be aware that certain locations have banned the use of lead for flies. In that case, use this:

http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingsto...lead-free-wire

...and no, I have never seen it in .010...

PT/TB
sndmn11 and fly_rover like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 06-28-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:40 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Round Lead Wire Spools | Bass Pro Shops

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-28-2015, 07:27 PM

I got some lead wire from a friend today, .025. He swears that Field and Stream has some. I was just there last week and didn't see any. In my defense I wasn't looking for lead wire, was getting materials since I was just starting to tie flies. Thanks for all the info. I'm heading to Field and Stream soon to get more lead wire and to try and save my dignity.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:32 PM

repperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon11 View Post
I got some lead wire from a friend today, .025. He swears that Field and Stream has some. I was just there last week and didn't see any. In my defense I wasn't looking for lead wire, was getting materials since I was just starting to tie flies. Thanks for all the info. I'm heading to Field and Stream soon to get more lead wire and to try and save my dignity.
It's definitely at field and stream, atleast the one in erie,pa. I picked some up just this past Friday.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk