The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By planettrout
  • 1 Post By silver creek
  • 1 Post By stenacron
  • 1 Post By planettrout
  • 1 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2015, 09:18 PM

dragon11 is on a distinguished road
Default tying on legs

Hard as I try I can't seem to tie the legs onto my fly's properly. My goal is to tie them on so they go out to the side, like on a spider fly.

I pinch and hold the legs on the hook shank, and as I wrap the thread they start to twist, instead of staying in place. By the time I'm done with the fly, instead of being out to the side at a slight angle, they are all on one side, or straight to the front and back. Could it be the legs are to thin, or am I putting to much pressure on the thread while I wrap?
Old 07-05-2015, 10:46 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: tying on legs

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9hA8wMwTWk

When tightening thread wraps, always pull upwards over the top of the hook shank...

PT/TB
smilingduck likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 07-06-2015, 12:17 AM

nevadanstig has a spectacular aura aboutnevadanstig has a spectacular aura about

What type of legs are you trying to tye on exactly? Rubber?

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2015, 05:49 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon11 View Post
Hard as I try I can't seem to tie the legs onto my fly's properly. My goal is to tie them on so they go out to the side, like on a spider fly.

I pinch and hold the legs on the hook shank, and as I wrap the thread they start to twist, instead of staying in place. By the time I'm done with the fly, instead of being out to the side at a slight angle, they are all on one side, or straight to the front and back. Could it be the legs are to thin, or am I putting to much pressure on the thread while I wrap?
Insead of tying the thread over the leg, pull the leg toward you under the thread. It is easy if you have a rotary vise.

Take the thread to the point on the fly where you want the legs to go on. Let the bobbin go and the thread and bobbin will be hanging off the far side of the fly. Take the rubber leg material to the other side of the fly and place it where the thread meets the fly. Pull the rubber leg material toward you BETWEEN the thread and over the top of the fly from the far side to your side.

Rotate the vise head 180 degrees around TOWARD you and this will rotate the leg you placed to the other side and place another half wrap of thread on the fly. Now do the same thing and pull another leg under the thread wrap between the tread and fly and pull to your side of the fly.

Now you have a pair of rubber legs, one pointing forward and the other backward on each side. Adjust the positions by pulling on the legs until you get them right and tie down with 2 firm wraps.

Presto. Perfect legs.
smilingduck likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-06-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadanstig View Post
What type of legs are you trying to tye on exactly? Rubber?

Sili legs perfectly barred white from Gander Mountain. If there's a size for thickness, I have no idea what they are. By my uneducated assessment, and I say this with no respect for myself at all, they are really thin.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Insead of tying the thread over the leg, pull the leg toward you under the thread. It is easy if you have a rotary vise.

Take the thread to the point on the fly where you want the legs to go on. Let the bobbin go and the thread and bobbin will be hanging off the far side of the fly. Take the rubber leg material to the other side of the fly and place it where the thread meets the fly. Pull the rubber leg material toward you BETWEEN the thread and over the top of the fly from the far side to your side.

Rotate the vise head 180 degrees around TOWARD you and this will rotate the leg you placed to the other side and place another half wrap of thread on the fly. Now do the same thing and pull another leg under the thread wrap between the tread and fly and pull to your side of the fly.

Now you have a pair of rubber legs, one pointing forward and the other backward on each side. Adjust the positions by pulling on the legs until you get them right and tie down with 2 firm wraps.

Presto. Perfect legs.
I tied a couple of flies tonight and read your post after. I'm going to try and tie a popper with the legs tomorrow night to see how I do.

I tied both of these tonight with some hooks a friend had given me a while back...

Click the image to open in full size.

They are not works of art but I'm trying.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:15 PM

nevadanstig has a spectacular aura aboutnevadanstig has a spectacular aura about

Try doing 2-3 wraps of thread not so tightly just to tightly hold them on, then you should be able to manually adjust everything to exactly where you want. Then do another couple wraps tightly to secure them. Dont be afraid to tug on things to get them to where you want.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:19 AM

stenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant future

Not sure if I can describe this correctly, but the way I learned is a two-handed technique...

-1) Get your thread to the point where you want to tie your legs in and let the bobbin hang.

-2) Loop the leg material around your thread and pinch both ends between your thumb & index finger in your left hand.

-3) Now put light tension on both the legs and the thread bobbin.

-4) As you bring the bobbin towards you to wrap the thread, let the legs slide into the exact tie in spot on the fly while maintaining light tension the entire time.

-5) Once the bobbin is rotated to the 6 o'clock position release the legs and put another wrap over the same ones.

-6) Now rotate your fly and repeat for the other side.

I'm sure there are YouTube videos showing this exact technique. It may take a try or two to get it down cold but it works every time and its fast.

jaybo41 likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 07-07-2015, 10:01 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

OK...so it's Sili Leg material for tailing....Check out this Loren Williams SBS to see how he ties them in...

Loren Williams

PT/TB
flytie09 likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 07-07-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
OK...so it's Sili Leg material for tailing....Check out this Loren Williams SBS to see how he ties them in...

Loren Williams

PT/TB
Awesome and thanks! That's one nice looking fly. I'm going to try that tomorrow. I appreciate the information.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:52 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Not sure if I can describe this correctly, but the way I learned is a two-handed technique...

-1) Get your thread to the point where you want to tie your legs in and let the bobbin hang.

-2) Loop the leg material around your thread and pinch both ends between your thumb & index finger in your left hand.

-3) Now put light tension on both the legs and the thread bobbin.

-4) As you bring the bobbin towards you to wrap the thread, let the legs slide into the exact tie in spot on the fly while maintaining light tension the entire time.

-5) Once the bobbin is rotated to the 6 o'clock position release the legs and put another wrap over the same ones.

-6) Now rotate your fly and repeat for the other side.

I'm sure there are YouTube videos showing this exact technique. It may take a try or two to get it down cold but it works every time and its fast.

That's exactly how I do it Joe. It made perfect sense to me as I read though your instructions.
stenacron likes this.