The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By steelhead281
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide
  • 3 Post By ivory arrow
  • 2 Post By scotty macfly
  • 2 Post By j1973s
  • 1 Post By planettrout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2015, 09:27 AM

steelhead281 is on a distinguished road
Default Stillwater Brook Trout Flies ??

I would like to know what some of the favorite flies are for STILLWATER BROOK TROUT, Hope you guys all chime in with your ideas
GrtLksMarlin likes this.

Last edited by steelhead281; 10-31-2015 at 09:27 AM. Reason: reduce font size
Old 10-31-2015, 11:34 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stillwater Brook Trout Flies ??

It all depends on when and where..

I remember one situation this past season where the hatch changed 4 times in about 2 hours.
By the time you figured it out, the hatch was about to change again, so it was 1 or 2 fish and then they wanted something else.

Another time, it was dragon fly nymphs and nothing else would do. Once you figured it out,.. one fish after another.

A lot of the brook trout ponds that I fish are full of leaches. Ask people who might swim there... they know

One thing that I have noticed that's close to constant with stillwater brookies is they like the color pink.
The fly (not seen) in this picture is a pink Kennebago Muddler . Best described as a muddler, Hornberg hybrid
Works great as a big nymph during the dragonfly and hex hatches

Click the image to open in full size.
GrtLksMarlin likes this.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:54 PM

ivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to all

Not that I am any expert but I have had success on ant patterns, fished in smaller lakes high in the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2015, 11:50 PM

scotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant future

My favorite fly is the Delaware Adams. Ants, like Ivory Arrow suggests are good also. Brookies are aggressive fish, so that goes in our favor. We have a brookie lake here that has taught me that when they feed below the surface, they want something bright colored. Try a white wooley bugger or streamer. Now, I say this because the water color is a dark tea stained color due to the peat that is found in the lake. But when it comes to dries, the Adams.
GrtLksMarlin and slowdown like this.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:21 AM

j1973s is on a distinguished road

Fish quite a lot in the Snowy Range of southern Wyoming. Most of the lakes are brook trout lakes. Most are high elevation (10,200+). Favorite dry flies are: Royal Humpy, Royal Wulff, Stimulator or Parachute Adams.
Below the surface: Hairs Ear Soft Hackle, Prince Nymph, Wooly Bugger in a blood red color, Little Brook Trout Streamer, Midge Pupae, and any colorful streamer. Usually I fish these as a dropper except the streamers. Sometimes the midge patterns are fished pretty much straight down, with weight , very close to the bottom. I should use this technique more.
GrtLksMarlin and slowdown like this.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:41 AM

slowdown is a glorious beacon of lightslowdown is a glorious beacon of lightslowdown is a glorious beacon of lightslowdown is a glorious beacon of lightslowdown is a glorious beacon of lightslowdown is a glorious beacon of light

I'll answer this not geared just to Brook Trout but to lake's and specifically the high lakes we have here in Colorado that typically have populations of Cutthroats and Brook Trout (they behave very similarly in that environment)

Underneath:
1. Micro-buggers. Tied on size 10 and 12. Typically white and black.
2. Scuds - black, olive (I can think of a couple Square Tops lakes that your day will be empty without them)
3. Midges, Chironomidge, and callibaetis. I put these together because I usually fish them together straight down in the water column.
4. Damsels - one of my favorite times of year is when you get to fast strip those back on some of our lakes
5. eggs

ON TOP:
1. Adams (variety of sizes)
2. EHC
3. Ants (I like flying black and big fan of florescent orange)
4. Amy's ANT
5. Beetles

I've had the days where you only need one of these and it catches all day. i've had others where you were literally changing every few casts trying to figure out the fish. Overall though, these have typically worked well for me.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:31 AM

stenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond repute

Scuds, Chironomids, and anyone of DENNY RICKARDS PATTERNS

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 11-04-2015, 10:24 AM

planettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant future

This little soft hackle caught a bunch of Brookies for me back in August on some high alpine lakes in the Eastern Sierras:

Click the image to open in full size.

RED PEACOCK & HEN SH…

HOOK: Daiichi 1560, #12 – #18

THREAD:Veevus 16/0, Red

RIB: Ultra wire, Metallic Blue, SM or x-sm

ABDOMEN: Peacock. Iridescent Red – Spirit River

HACKLE: Hen Neck, Furnace

PT/TB
stenacron likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-28-2016, 08:36 PM

Location: Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope" next few years
losthwy is a jewel in the roughlosthwy is a jewel in the roughlosthwy is a jewel in the roughlosthwy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1973s View Post
Fish quite a lot in the Snowy Range of southern Wyoming. Most of the lakes are brook trout lakes. Most are high elevation (10,200+). Favorite dry flies are: Royal Humpy, Royal Wulff, Stimulator or Parachute Adams.
Below the surface: Hairs Ear Soft Hackle, Prince Nymph, Wooly Bugger in a blood red color, Little Brook Trout Streamer, Midge Pupae, and any colorful streamer. Usually I fish these as a dropper except the streamers. Sometimes the midge patterns are fished pretty much straight down, with weight , very close to the bottom. I should use this technique more.
Snowy Range one of the most beautiful places in America most have never heard of. I never fished there but have passed thru there a few times. VERY nice piece of the planet.