The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By spm
  • 1 Post By mridenour
  • 2 Post By ia_trouter
  • 2 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2016, 07:17 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Show Me (I am from MO after all) your Yuk Bugs

I've been tying some Yuk Bugs in preparation for the trip out to Wyoming and see a LOT of different opinions on how to tie them. What is your favorite? Show me some pics and list materials you prefer to tie them with. What sizes work best for you? Colors? I'm currently doing olives until I use up all my hackle.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:56 AM

spm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud of
Default Re: Show Me (I am from MO after all) your Yuk Bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I've been tying some Yuk Bugs in preparation for the trip out to Wyoming and see a LOT of different opinions on how to tie them. What is your favorite? Show me some pics and list materials you prefer to tie them with. What sizes work best for you? Colors? I'm currently doing olives until I use up all my hackle.
Okay, time for me to, once again, show my ignorance. What is a Yuk Bug?

steve
Old 07-01-2016, 08:01 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Here you go:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:06 AM

spm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
Here you go:

Click the image to open in full size.
Hm, so kind of a wooly bugger with rubber legs and a hair tail? I like it. Your design?

s.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:20 AM

No that one isn't mine. I've never tied a pretty fly! But yeah, most use squirrel for the tail and some rubber legs. I've seen some where the hackle is wound on backwards with the longer fibers at the rear. Lots of variants like the bugger.
spm likes this.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:26 AM

ia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant future

Interesting. I've seen other versions that are tied much more like a Pats" Crazy Legs fly. Just on the net, I've never fished any version.
spm and mridenour like this.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:08 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm View Post
Hm, so kind of a wooly bugger with rubber legs and a hair tail? I like it. Your design?

s.
So that's what they are! Picked up a few years back for Steelhead fishing and they turned out to be fairly effective. Reminded me of a local pattern called the 'Otis Bug' with a feather twist.
spm and mridenour like this.