The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 03:41 PM

ab4usa is on a distinguished road
Default How many for a rookie?

I'm just starting out. I need to buy flies. I have been through a book about fly fishing in my area (Maryland) and have a list of 16 or 17 different patterns in 2 to 3 sizes for each pattern. That's 32 to 51 flies if I just buy one of each. Not to mention a couple that I can't find. So how many do I buy? One of each? 2? There is one web site where you buy a dozen at a time. While their prices look great, the start up cost is daunting. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:55 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How many for a rookie?

I don't envy you having to start from scratch. But, I'd think 3 of a given size/pattern would be a good starting point. You know - 1 to lose, 1 to fish with and 1 for the backup in case that's the only thing working that day!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If you can tell us what species you're after and what type of water you're fishing, I bet we could accurately recommend 5 flies you could take 3 each of and be set up well.

Whether 15 gets you through the day depends on your casting ability, of course.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:01 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

BigCliff is right on target. Five different flies with 2 duplicates would probably serve you well.

Two other options: When I first fished for trout, I went into a local flyshop, bought a license, and asked the man behind the counter for a couple of appropriate leaders and ten flies that would work in the stream. He set me up with several flies that I know now are are old standards in trout fishing and a couple that worked really well in that particular stream. If you've got a flyshop in your area, that might be a way to do it.

Another possibility is to get a box of ten to fifteen assorted basic flies appropriate to the species. They have them in many shops and stores like Cabelas and Bass Pro.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:56 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I'd agree with Flyfsher, go to your local shop and let them set you up with the basic patterns for your water and your species. If they try to sell you a bucket load, find another shop!! LOL

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-01-2008, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Some good info above.
You may want to consider something else also, what's typically working in your area right now and for the next couple of months?, hatches and common insects routinely change and no sense in buying flies now that you won't use until later in the Summer or Fall.

So as mentioned visit your local flyshop and ask what's happening on your local waters......
Old 04-01-2008, 08:31 AM

In response to the question "what species" the answer is trout. Mostly in central Maryland but probably in western MD as well. The list of patterns was gleaned from "Guide to Maryland Fishing" . One of the editors, Larry Coburn, is also the FF manager that the local BPS so I guess I could go ask him. If someone wants to suggest 5 or so that I should carry please let me know.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ab4usa,
Can you look in the book and tell us what hatches you have in the Spring? and then we could probably get you in the ballpark.
Patterns from my neck of the woods will probably differ some from your area.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:05 AM

I don't have the book with me but in the order that I wrote them down;
Stone flys, black, brown (14-16) tan (16)
Cadis Black (18) Olive (14-16)
Adams (14-16)
Sulfor (14-16)
Light Cahill (14-16)
Royal Coachman
Elk hair Cadis (14-16)
Henryville
Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear (14-18)
Pheseant Tail
Bead Head Nymphs tan/olive (14-18)
Black Ant (16-20)
Griffiths Gnat (20-22)
Crayfish (4-10)
San Juan worm (14)
Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, that's a start.
Let me ask you a few more questions first, Do you prefer to nymph or fish dries? what do you have the most experience doing?
Do you have anyone to work with you?

I think we've got you heading in the right direction, I hate to run but I have family coming in from out of town this morning and I have to head to the airport to pick them up.

So be patient, do some more reading. Have you used the "search" feature yet? take a look at some of the older post and you will also find some more good info.

bbl......