The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By gpwhitejr
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 3 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By gpwhitejr
  • 1 Post By Ard
  • 4 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2017, 07:51 AM

gpwhitejr is on a distinguished road
Default Tube flies

I had never heard of tube flies until I subscribed to this forum. Now I want to try some for my annual RI striper excursion. I don't tie my own and they don't seem very common at local or online retailers. Any suggestions?

By the way, I also had never heard of furled leaders or tippet rings, both of which I have recently tried. Great forum, thanks.
Ard, mcnerney, ejsell and 1 others like this.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:57 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tube flies

I agree, most fly shops won't carry tube flies, unless maybe on the west coast. A Google search turned up this:
Off the hook tube fly box
Ard likes this.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:33 AM

Thanks. I did find a few at Big Y. But not those huge ones that folks tie.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:49 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Your welcome! They just aren't that common, the guys that use tube flies usually like to tie their own so they can size them for the species of fish they are after. I haven't tied any yet, but did order some supplies in to experiment a bit with it. I recently bought a used Sage ONE Switch rod and want to try swinging some tube flies with it primarily targeting trout and have had a blast learning a couple basic Spey casts (double Spey and Snap T).

Old 04-15-2017, 09:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpwhitejr View Post
I had never heard of tube flies until I subscribed to this forum. Now I want to try some for my annual RI striper excursion. I don't tie my own and they don't seem very common at local or online retailers. Any suggestions?
When are you going striper fishing in RI. ?

"Matching the hatch" can be important but for much of the early season most baits are fairly small.
Cinder worms, silversides, sand eels, juvie sea herring.

The river herrings, bluebacks and alewives, will be running very soon and they're good size but they're in decline.
IMO a 7-8 inch high profile deceiver is a good enough match
Squid might be one of the only baits that would be truly large, but even with those, often a fly of 6 -7 inches or even smaller would be fine.

Cinderworms will be doing their spawning thing soon and that's a big event in the south county ponds
Silversides spawn on the June full moon but you might see tiny juveniles and 4" adults on opposite tides.
Early season anchovies are about 2 1/2 inches and sea herring 3 1/2"- 4"
And there's a lot of other baits that you might run into too. Mole crabs, green crabs, glass minnows...
All small.

Needlefish and bunker are large, but IMO, still not the size that you'd need tube flies for.

Personally, my blind casting "go-to" spring season rig is a 6-7" flat wing deceiver with a 3-4" sand eel dropper.
Maybe a top water popper or gurgler just for fun.
Ard, mcnerney and ejsell like this.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the tips. This year we are going in mid-June. I think the biggest flies I own are about 3 inches, so 6-7 inches would be huge to me. Anyway, I like to try new things and those tubes seem to have several other advantages, from what i have read. I should try tying my own, but the last thing I need is another time consuming hobby!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

Where do you live?

Rip Tide is our resident Striper guy and his suggested flies are probably all you would need but..........

If you want to find tubes for sale I would suggest using the computer to search out coastal fly shops. There's a good chance that if you locate shops along the Eastern Shore (Del-Marva and VA.) they will have some tubes. I lived on the VA. shore for a while and discovered tube flies in 1992 there. Chances are they are still sold in the shops, the one I used (shop) is now closed or I'd direct you to them.
mcnerney likes this.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-15-2017, 01:02 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ard Stetts View Post
and his suggested flies are probably all you would need but..........
There's a lot of ways to get the job done and simply trying out new things is fine.

For me, I find that being aware of the little life cycle nuances can be very useful and when I discover something new, that's a small victory that I squirrel away.
But it's no different than learning about trout bugs. A basic understanding works well enough to catch a fish or two.

One year, just to see how I'd do, I fished only yellow deceivers all season until LaborDay (when the season changes completely)
I did just fine

Click the image to open in full size.
Ard, mcnerney, ejsell and 1 others like this.