The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 04:35 AM

jamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura about
Default Two Questions; Re. Hooks

Is there a standard between manufacturers for hook dimensions?

Is there normally a difference between eye size on wet and dry hooks?

The reason I ask this, is with a # 16 wet fly, I have no issues threading a 3X tippet through the eye, where-as with a # 16 dry, I consider it luck when I'm successful with a 6X tippet.

Thanks.

Jamie.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:18 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two Questions; Re. Hooks

From what I've read in the past, the answer is yes to both of your questions. From one manufacturer to another there can be quite a difference is what one 'calls' a size 'x' vs another.

fae
Old 09-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

The dimensions for hooks do vary between manufacturers--- and sometimes within same manufacture for different models of hooks (Mustad just went through a major renaming of their hooks and jiggling with some of the dimensions to bring some standardization within their lineup).

But most hook manufacturers have hooks that are comparable--- at least in intended function.

One thing that might be part of the problem is that wet fly hooks are typically made of heavier wire-- and dries are made of thinner wire making the wire on dries more difficult to see--- something that may be a factor for those of us with gray hair.

Some dry fly hooks like the Daiichi 1100 have over sized eyes, but if close up vision is an issue especially with smaller size hooks (and it sure is for me), you might consider something like these C & F threaders (about $16-17.00):

Click the image to open in full size.

They come in various sizes:
"standard" for sizes 16-19
"midge" for 20-26
"ultra midge" for sizes 24-32

and both in "standard" and "short" lengths etc. If you use flies that occasionally run down to size 20-22 or so the most useful size would probably be the midge (unless you tie really small stuff and need the "ultra midge") because you can always use the thinner wire of the midge size on larger size hooks too.

Fly Threaders - C&F Fly Threader Sets - C&F Design

Good luck!

Last edited by peregrines; 09-08-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:24 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

hi Jamie
If you are new to tying flies...well,mr peregrines said good luck...you gona need it

i have had same problem,still do.....but i have repper(something to compare with) in my head..it is old good mustad hooks,models 540 and 539e---it was only kind of fly hooks when i was boy and i learn how to tie.
So when some said ,for example,size 14...picture in my head is mustad size 14....but when i actualy see that hook size 14 it can be God knows what..from 10 to 16
real mess