The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Flies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/)
-   -   Discount Flies?? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/4687-discount-flies.html)

JeffK 06-16-2008 01:09 PM

Discount Flies??

Has anyone purchased flies from The Angler's Dream, Blue Fly Cafe, or Big Y Fly Co?

I found these companies on the web, and the prices seem great. Will I be "getting what i pay for"????

Thoughts?

wtex50 06-17-2008 10:42 PM

Re: Discount Flies??

Blue Fly Cafe - Yes but not the other two. Blue fly is great -good flies, great price and fast delivery. The Fly Shack is another I use that I am very satisfied with.

Bigfishjr. 06-18-2008 12:44 PM

i would second the bluefly cafe.

brookie 06-19-2008 08:00 PM

anglers dream, I actually did buy flies from there once and they actually were pretty decent

GeorgeMcFly 06-19-2008 09:52 PM

anglers dream and big y are great! once I didn't receive a order and I contacted um and they sent out another order to me.

MBWCC 06-20-2008 01:19 PM

I have placed several orders with both Blue Fly Cafe and Big Y Fly Co. Service has always been great, flies are certainly good for the price, and obviously the experience was consistently good enough that I went back and would go back to either.

tlcrep 06-21-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffK (Post 30691)
Has anyone purchased flies from The Angler's Dream, Blue Fly Cafe, or Big Y Fly Co?

I found these companies on the web, and the prices seem great. Will I be "getting what i pay for"????

Thoughts?

I have ordered from the blue fly cafe and big y. It has been a long time since I have ordered from blue fly, but as I recall they had exceptional quality. I order from BIg y on a constant basis, and I am not sure I should, I have problems with things like prince nymphs breaking (not breaking on fish, just breaking by having mono tied to the hook bend), have bought yellow stimulators for stonefly dries and the "yellow" was a funky green, ordered fox pupae and the chenile was tied down with *thread* instead of wire.

Gotta give them their props, they are excellent marketter, that free shipping on $35 and %5 credit keeps pulling me back in even with my troubles. Elk hair caddis seem to be a safe bet

stevem 06-24-2008 02:38 PM

I can give a big thumbs up for Blue Fly Cafe. I placed my first order with them last week and it arrived at my door today, 6 days later. That's some kind of record for any item I've ordered from the U.S.

Flies seem to be very good quality and their prices are great.

troutslayer 07-04-2008 02:31 PM

I've ordered from the FlyShack and have been very satisfied! I'll have to try Angler's Dream. Used to get some from Angler's Vice until they went out of business.

plland 07-04-2008 04:18 PM

I've ordered from Blue Fly Cafe. Their flies seem pretty good quality, though sometimes they're tied a little more "basic" than something you'd find at a local outfitter. For the price they're hard to beat, and they ship Priority Mail.