The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 01:09 PM

JeffK is on a distinguished road
Default Discount Flies??

Has anyone purchased flies from The Angler's Dream, Blue Fly Cafe, or Big Y Fly Co?

I found these companies on the web, and the prices seem great. Will I be "getting what i pay for"????

Thoughts?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Discount Flies??

Blue Fly Cafe - Yes but not the other two. Blue fly is great -good flies, great price and fast delivery. The Fly Shack is another I use that I am very satisfied with.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:44 PM

Bigfishjr. is on a distinguished road

i would second the bluefly cafe.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:00 PM

brookie is on a distinguished road

anglers dream, I actually did buy flies from there once and they actually were pretty decent
Old 06-19-2008, 09:52 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

anglers dream and big y are great! once I didn't receive a order and I contacted um and they sent out another order to me.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:19 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

I have placed several orders with both Blue Fly Cafe and Big Y Fly Co. Service has always been great, flies are certainly good for the price, and obviously the experience was consistently good enough that I went back and would go back to either.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:39 PM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
Has anyone purchased flies from The Angler's Dream, Blue Fly Cafe, or Big Y Fly Co?

I found these companies on the web, and the prices seem great. Will I be "getting what i pay for"????

Thoughts?
I have ordered from the blue fly cafe and big y. It has been a long time since I have ordered from blue fly, but as I recall they had exceptional quality. I order from BIg y on a constant basis, and I am not sure I should, I have problems with things like prince nymphs breaking (not breaking on fish, just breaking by having mono tied to the hook bend), have bought yellow stimulators for stonefly dries and the "yellow" was a funky green, ordered fox pupae and the chenile was tied down with *thread* instead of wire.

Gotta give them their props, they are excellent marketter, that free shipping on $35 and %5 credit keeps pulling me back in even with my troubles. Elk hair caddis seem to be a safe bet
Old 06-24-2008, 02:38 PM

stevem is on a distinguished road

I can give a big thumbs up for Blue Fly Cafe. I placed my first order with them last week and it arrived at my door today, 6 days later. That's some kind of record for any item I've ordered from the U.S.

Flies seem to be very good quality and their prices are great.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:31 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

I've ordered from the FlyShack and have been very satisfied! I'll have to try Angler's Dream. Used to get some from Angler's Vice until they went out of business.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 07-04-2008, 04:18 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

I've ordered from Blue Fly Cafe. Their flies seem pretty good quality, though sometimes they're tied a little more "basic" than something you'd find at a local outfitter. For the price they're hard to beat, and they ship Priority Mail.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.