The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why barbless?

Other points:
  • Barbless hooks come out of human skin and clothing easier.
  • Barbless hooks are generally stronger, as barbs are commonly made via turning up a portion of the hook wire. This creates a weak point.
  • Barbless hooks penetrate better. There's a reason a bayonet doesn't have barbs.

I think the first fly mfg that establishes themselves as "the barbless fly company" will be rewarded with a financial pleasure.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:57 PM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road

I hate getting barbed flies out of...well... anything. I often hook flies to my shirt if i'm swapping and every so often i get a fly that isn't pinched down. Boy does that ever suck having to work a fly out of a sleeve, but its even worse on nets. My net is a rubber net, but it has a ruled part that is not rubberized. I hooked the stitching part of it and it was hell to get off.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:23 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I mash every fly I tie, but I do occasionally buy a fly from a local shop (the grizzly store at Davis, the Reno Fly shop, and yes, Cabelas). When I went fishing with Bigfly, I had to borrow some smooth face forceps because mine were on my tying bench and we were fishing a "barbless only" area. Man, I would hate to get fined for not having barbless there!. In any case, I have moved my smooth pliers back to my day bag, and purchased another pair of needle nose for the desk.

I can tell you that my experience is the barb does not make that much difference in landing fish, heck, we lost a bunch (I think between FishHerman and I we hooked 7 or 8 each and only landed one each) last weekend and when I looked at the hook, bought at the grizzley store, it still had a barb on it, so this did not stop the fish from getting off the hook. I do know from personal experience however, that a barbless hook comes out of an arm, finger, or shirt much easier then a barbed one does.

d
Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I'm going to take an "educated" guess and say that it might have to do with how the hook is manufactured. They already have all of the equipment to make barbed hooks. If a company that makes barbed hooks would want to go and make barbless, they might need to purchase new equipment to mass produce those hooks.

With the market for them so small (mainly because there are none available) these manufactures may not see any financial incentive to invest the capital to get the equipment to produce barbless hooks in any great quantity.

Maybe if we as fisherman start contacting these companies requesting barbless hooks they will see the profits that they are missing and see the incentive to produce more.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 09-29-2010, 10:04 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good guess
I believe that the barb is used to help grip the hook during the sharpening process
Old 09-29-2010, 07:13 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ant, you might be onto something there. Come to think of it, when I have seen barbless hooks in a fly shop or online, the cost tends to be a little above the cost of the same size, same quantity of a barbed hook.

Hmmm.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:41 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

There are barbless hooks available thru Fly Tying Specialties. I believe they are imported and probably not cheap. milt.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:12 PM

153peterjang is on a distinguished road

Barbless Double is? (This picture was not heat treated and plated yet !)

BARBLESS DOUBLE LONG needles is a product by our automatic producing machine.(It is barbless goods in k-12011, and item no. is k-12021 #1/0 SIZE.)

When we manufactured a fish hook, barb play a jig role to hold when it is banding.
It is difficult to bend without barb, and then the point of fish hook gets dull.

Making of BABBLESS HOOK is realistically getting difficult.
The only BARBALESS HOOK can be sharp like a point of fish hook by automatic producing machine.
These goods can be produced amount of 20000 per a machine for a day.

You can see our automatic machine if you come to Korea some time or other.
This machine is produced in secret without revealing anywhere in the world.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Barbless Double is? (This picture was not heat treated and plated yet !)

BARBLESS DOUBLE LONG needles is a product by our automatic producing machine.(It is barbless goods in k-12011, and item no. is k-12021 #1/0 SIZE.)

When we manufactured a fish hook, barb play a jig role to hold when it is banding.
It is difficult to bend without barb, and then the point of fish hook gets dull.

Making of BABBLESS HOOK is realistically getting difficult.
The only BARBALESS HOOK can be sharp like a point of fish hook by automatic producing machine.
These goods can be produced amount of 20000 per a machine for a day.

You can see our automatic machine if you come to Korea some time or other.
This machine is produced in secret without revealing anywhere in the world.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:49 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

153peterjang

Thanks for the information, wish I needed to go to korea as I would love to watch the hooks being made.

Dave
Old 06-07-2011, 09:37 AM

greatcanadian is on a distinguished road
Default Why barbless?

There are some interesting points here about barbless hooks. Some I agree with, others that I strongly disagree with. One post stated that barbless hooks cause just as much damage as barbs. This is so untrue. It's when removing the hook that the barb does the most damage. Especially to small fish where the bone/flesh structure is softer. Barbless hooks practically fall out. Barbed hooks snag just as if they were caught in your clothing. Where I live we fish for Atlantic Salmon. Barbless hooks are required BY LAW. There is a reason for this. Barbless hooks cause much less damage to fish that are to be released.