The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 12:51 PM

chasazfish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The single most productive.....

I like to use them both, Wooly Bugger and BH Hare Ear, as a Dropper/Dropper Setup. With about 18 inches of line tied off the Wooly Bugger.

I also love Zonkers for Larger Trout, Natural Color is my choice...

Thanks

Charlie

AZFISHGUIDE.COM
Old 11-17-2009, 03:26 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

I find the best for me is a Pheasent tail, or caddis puppa nymphs, as midge puppa are not well studied over here theres not many books that mention them and I am still yet to have any sucess with them, and I dont use buggers much as most of my fishing is in small streams

Chris
Old 11-17-2009, 09:13 AM

basco is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: The single most productive.....

I've only been ffing for a year and half, but I NEVER get skunked as long as I have some bead head prince nymphs or zebra midges. Those are my two favorites for stream or river fishing.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I think it is all about where you are fishing. In Alaska I used different flies than I do in the lower 48. I use different flies in tail waters than I do in free flowing rivers. So I pretty much have my favorites for different locations.

Frank
Old 11-17-2009, 12:51 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: The single most productive.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
I've only been ffing for a year and half, but I NEVER get skunked as long as I have some .........
Oh boy....You put the horns on it now
Old 11-17-2009, 01:53 PM

basco is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: The single most productive.....

You make a very good point there Rip Tide! Perhaps I got a little carried away with that last post...Let me rephrase, " I have had very good luck when fishing with a bead head prince or a zebra midge."
Old 11-18-2009, 02:56 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I posted that my best was a clouser style marabou leech I tie. However, at night my best is turning out to be a blue/white clouser that I have been mixing the white bucktail with white glow in the dark flashabou. I have been using a UV cap light to charge the flashabou and the eyes ( lead hourglass that I coat with charteuse glow in the dark Pro Tec powder paint. ) I have been clobbering big Walleyes with this fly. The best part is that the glow stuff does not change the way it looks in daylight which has been working pretty well before dark.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:45 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

My Ultimate Fly...........olive scud in rivers, but fall back to a black nosed dace in area lakes.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 11-20-2009, 11:57 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I posted that my best was a clouser style marabou leech I tie. However, at night my best is turning out to be a blue/white clouser that I have been mixing the white bucktail with white glow in the dark flashabou. I have been using a UV cap light to charge the flashabou and the eyes ( lead hourglass that I coat with charteuse glow in the dark Pro Tec powder paint. ) I have been clobbering big Walleyes with this fly. The best part is that the glow stuff does not change the way it looks in daylight which has been working pretty well before dark.
Dan, I liked that pattern you made on the first page, I'm gonna have to try that too. What sizes are most rewarding for you?
Old 11-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Dan, I liked that pattern you made on the first page, I'm gonna have to try that too. What sizes are most rewarding for you?
I use a Mustad 3665A #4 hook and medium lead hourglass eyes. When I tie the leech pattern, I use Marc Petijean clips and loop dub tha marabou with no stems. They are tough flies. You have to break off each and every fiber to kill one. It usually takes two feathers to tie one. I use the tips from both feathers for the tail and loop dub the rest.