The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 12:34 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The single most productive.....

Black bugger for me. On that one fly i have caught gills, largemouth, smallmouth, bows, browns, brookies, have seen carp, and heard that steelys love em. Strip em fast, dead drift them, what ever!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:59 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: The single most productive.....

What Frank said is true about water specific flies. we can sometimes get loyal on our favorite waters that we know so well.
The true test is traveling. When I asked A. Burk, he told me about his tying 40 second pheasant tails for the one fly contest. (You have one hour to tie all the flies your team will use that day. Do the math.) Easy,fast,effective.
Personally, (hence the nickname) I tye sz 2+ BUGGERS! (sz 6 for steelies). I like natural movement so I tye Rainey foam cores with Lrg Tri-loble yarn wrap to cover. Gives me three dimensional movement instead of the weighted and more two D. presentation (up/down).
Black/green/brown/blue/white and more (got to keep some secrets).
Little to no flash, a bushy tail, and sometimes souped up with a strip of wabbit too. Part bugger, part zonker = Bonker
In my experience, Walter wants a MEAL! Drop a him a PT off behind for desert. "Eeevil"!

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 12-17-2009 at 10:15 PM.