The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough
Default The single most productive.....

In a recent post in another thread, Big Cliff said this about the Wooly Bugger. "I find it to be the single most productive freshwater fly."
This struck me because, although I am sure that he is correct, I rarely use the fly.
For me, if I had to choose a single most productive freshwater fly, it would be the Bead Head Hare's Ear. I suspect the difference is a matter of two things. 1) the fly that we have confidence in gets used the most, and 2) we fish in different water types for different fish.

Anyone else have a fly they consider "the single most productive freshwater fly"? I think it will be interesting to see the different flies from different people and areas. Similar to the "if you could only take three flies" post of some time ago but more specific.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: The single most productive.....

Part of the reason I think the Wooly Bugger is the most productive fly is that it is so adaptable. I have had success with them from sizes 4-14, from black to white, unweighted to spin-castable. Its quite productive for trout but, I think it works even better on bass and sunfish.

It's not my first pick for trout. That would probably be some sort of small dense nymph with peacock herl.

I guess to be honest, I should say that 98% of the buggers I fish have bead or cone heads. I think the flash and the action helps alot. It gives them a more crawfish-like posture as well. I suppose there are some situations where a lead wire weighted bugger that sinks levelly is the better option, but I haven't found that yet.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:31 PM

easternflyfisher will become famous soon enougheasternflyfisher will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to easternflyfisher Send a message via MSN to easternflyfisher

i have never really had much luck with wolly buggers either. manily because i hardly use em. id rather use a simi seal leech, or a mickey finn or diamond carey. but i have been trying to use them more for bass and panfish.

http://simpsonsigs.com/04/quotes01b.jpg
Old 08-10-2005, 10:18 AM

Roughrider will become famous soon enoughRoughrider will become famous soon enough

For stillwater situations, I would have to agree with Big Cliff. I am from AZ and you will never find me without a brown or black wolly bugger on the end of my line. Whether it is bass fishing in a small lake in S. AZ or in the white mtns fishing for browns and bows, I will have a wolly bugger on. It is a confidence thing for sure. Now rivers, that is a different can of worms for me. I also agree, a bead head hares ear or pheasant tail would be my first choice on a stream in Az. I just moved close to the san juan so that is a different story there.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:41 PM

troutbum17 is on a distinguished road

Ive always had great luck on the elk haired caddis. i do mostly stream fishing, and if there are bugs out, caddis are usually among them. this fly lands me lots of fish. with bigger elk hairs that float well, i can get away with dropping a phesant tail nymph(flashback) no bead. this setup slays fish in my experience.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:48 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have to agree that the elk hair caddis is one of my favorite dries and the copper john has to be my favorite and most productive nymph. Now, I have caught fish on a wooly bugger, and it is still a staple in my fly box, but I fish a freestone river and with a small elk hair caddis and a copper john in my box, I am confident I can catch fish.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:00 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about

I would say the Copper wire head Flashback Pheasant Tail (as shown in Randall Kaufmann's books). It has a small negative buoyancy. Therefore, it drifts well, and you can swim it at a desired depth. It also has enough flash to stimulate most fish (cold and warm water), and it is easy to make in a variety of sizes and colors.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The Whitlock Sclupin, fish it wet, um um good. Grease it up with Mucilin and you have a hopper pattern.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-30-2009, 01:04 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

My single most productive fly changes like a female local news anchor's hairstyle. I can't say that I have a single pattern that dominates my fishing successes.

But here is a comment on the Woolly Bugger's versatility. As a gag for a friend who refuses to fish buggers, I tied a dozen size 2/0 Woolly Buggers for a Mexican Tarpon trip. For whatever reason, the Tarpon would not look at the flies that normally worked there. He stopped fishing and let his guide fish. The guide tied on one of the buggers and started hooking up. For the rest of the trip, he used the buggers.

MP
Old 10-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

For me the single most productive fly has been a clouser style black marabou leech pattern I tie. I have caught tons of big walleye and big smallies with it. Right behind it would have to be clousers.
Click the image to open in full size.