The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 09:10 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Amy's Aunt

Hot terrestrial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amy's aunt1.jpg (48.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg amy's aunt2.jpg (50.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-05-2008, 03:29 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Amy's Aunt

Nice fly...Did you tie it yourself?

I will be in Denver Area over Labor Day weekend visiting my daughter and granddaughter...any tips on where the fishing might be good...I would rather avoid Deckers area and Cheeseman Canyon as I expect it will be really crowded due to the Holiday. I would like to stay within an hour and a half from Denver. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:28 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtex50 View Post
Nice fly...Did you tie it yourself?

I will be in Denver Area over Labor Day weekend visiting my daughter and granddaughter...any tips on where the fishing might be good...I would rather avoid Deckers area and Cheeseman Canyon as I expect it will be really crowded due to the Holiday. I would like to stay within an hour and a half from Denver. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Wtex
No, I don't tie, I'm not sure I would it, especially since I don't have any feeling in my left thumb do to a work incident with a table saw. I have a tendency to drop stuff.
As for the fishing. Let's see; there's Bear Creek that runs out of Evergreen Lake and the lake itself. I heard they put Northern Pike in the lake recently. Clear Creek west of Golden is close. Boulder Creek has some good fishing right in the town. None of these spots have large fish, but their easy to catch and a lot of fun.
You can contact Evergreen Trout Unlimited at Evergreen Trout Unlimited They can give you the latest on the best spots in the Dever area.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:37 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

1-1/2 hour drive from Denver will reach the Blue River below Dillon reservoir. Anywhere from just below the dam, under I-70, through the outlet malls, and downstream past the Silverthorne library and police station will be good. Urban, true, but fun.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:54 AM

I've fished the Blue North of Silverthorne up to - is it Green Mountain Reservoir???? with good success....I've never fished in town there. The folks at Cutthroat Anglers in Silverthorne have always been very helpful. I figured both Bear and Clear Creek would be crowded....but who knows...maybe everyone will think they will be crowded and stay home - yeah right.

Thanks for the info
Old 08-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Fly looks pretty great, I would just be worried about it twisting in flight and landing downside down.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Fly looks pretty great, I would just be worried about it twisting in flight and landing downside down.
Good point Cliff. I generally cast about 20-30 feet with that fly, so it's hard to tell if that is occuring. Also, I've been dropping a beadhead red copper john#18 off the bend which I think may help keep it upright. I fished the dropper rig on the Dream Stream a couple days ago and got an equal amount of hits off both flies. I had one nice size brown hit the john and straighten the hook on me. Guess I tried to turn him a little too quick he took me into the backing and was running hard in swift current.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I remember Jack Dennis showing this ant for the first time.
I hear it is the fly for the South Fork in Idaho.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:34 AM

Joni - I knew I had seen that pattern before - Jack calls it something else though I can't remember what - Atomic Ant maybe??????
Old 08-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure it was AMY'S named after his daughter, but not sure on that one.