The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2008, 11:48 AM

gvillevol is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing Yellowstone and West Yellowstone area

in mid September. I haven't been in that area for 10 years and wandered if someone could give fly tips for that time of the year. I typically nymph fish and have WD-40's, copper johns, ray charles, prince, hot wire prince, pheasant tail, etc. I assume they will work fine out there. Also have my BWO's, PMD's, caddis flies etc. Thanks for the input.

Nate
Old 08-15-2008, 12:35 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fishing Yellowstone and West Yellowstone area

Add some big flies -Royal Wulff and Stimulators in 8, 10 an 12....big hoppers and some boogers - try to get some JJ Specials if you can find them...They work really well in that part of the country
Old 08-15-2008, 03:36 PM

gvillevol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtex50 View Post
Add some big flies -Royal Wulff and Stimulators in 8, 10 an 12....big hoppers and some boogers - try to get some JJ Specials if you can find them...They work really well in that part of the country
Thanks Wtex50. I have a lot of Hoppers (Daves, etc. and numerous other terrestrials) which I will use too. I have some stimulators but will add to the collection and definitely check out the JJ Specials.

I just don't see much about people using nymphs obviously because people go out there to catch fish on the great hatches but I am a Czech nymph, high sticking, bead head man at heart being from North Carolina/South Carolina area that is what produces. Any color suggestions for nymphs? Out east I am successful with prince nymphs, copper johns, fly formerly known as prince, hotwire prince, brassie, WD-40's, etc. Also chartreuse, pink, blue, and red are hot colors out east and I assume they will work out there too.

Let me know if you can think of any other terrestrials that may be good. I have also heard that I need to use a larger size fly than we usually use out here. I bought some 3 and 4 x tippet as I am used to 6 and 7x out here with 5 being the largest. Thanks again Wtex50.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:12 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

Definately bigger...you can nymph....most use a 2 fly rig....I use a stimulator or Royal Wulff as an indicator and trail a copper john....this works well if you are drifting. I've not high sticked much on big water.....and the Yellowstone and Snake are great for terrestrials and boogers. you can get the JJ Special at High Country Flies in Jackson Wyoming. One of the regulars on this forum - Davo - guides out of Jackson...he might be able to give you a little more insight into what you need for September. Just remember...what you consider big in North Carolina isn't big where you will be fishing - 4, 6, 8 are the norm with some 10's and 12s. If you are using a dropper rig....your nymphs will be 16, or 18 I would guess. I'm not able to make my annual trip up to Jackson this year so I am envious of your trip. let us know how it goes.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:51 PM

Bugeater76 is on a distinguished road

I just actually got back from there and did really well fishing a size10 yellow stim. It was my first time there