The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 04:48 AM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road
Default mysis shrimp patterns

Does anyone know of any real good mysis shrimp patterns. For those of you not familiar, its a very small freshwater shrimp found in lakes in CO that allow for trout in tailwaters to become massive. The pattern I am looking for would be more clear and less white. Apparently the live shrimp are lucid/clear and turn white when they die.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mysis shrimp patterns

Liv2Fish

This is a good article, with a pattern:

Targeting mysis fed trout, by Dan Wright

The pattern is a little fussy for my taste, but I don't get out to CO to fish them often and don't tie them a lot, but do tie other shrimp type stuff for SW.

I just use white thread, white antron for the tail, white ostrich herl for the thorax, and a pull over of white antron for the "shellback" and front legs, with/or without two longer strands of white bucktail for antennae, and burnt mono eyes blackened with a sharpie. You could use the hooks mentioned or a 2-3xl nymph hook 16-20.

There are other patterns out there for the GL, but they're typically much larger, size 6 etc.

Hope this helps.

peregrines