The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Entomology - Flies - Pictures???

Dear Mr. Wotton,
I appreciate all of your comments. I agree with you totally that in order that to catch a fish it is not all about the fly you use. It is in the way that you use it so to speak.

Since, my original post I have been blessed to learn from our very own Site Admin Steve Robbins. He presents a Fly Fishing for Beginners class at the Tyler Junior College in Tyler, TX. I have learned a great deal from him and encourage anyone in the local area to take the course the next time it is offered.

I have also taken Rob Woodruff's Entomology course presented at the Lower Mountain Fork River outside Broken Bow, OK. It was neat to learn more about the ecology of the river and the bugs that swim in it. It's amazing to see the differences between the bugs from one end of the river to the next.

To say the least, Fly Fishing is a learning experience. I try to learn something about it everyday since I'm way behind the curve. After the holidays, I hope to be back on the river to learn more.

I want to thank everyone that has commented on this subject. If anyone else would like to comment on their knowledge of the subject please feel free to do so.

Thanks,
Terry
Old 12-29-2005, 08:53 PM

Troutbum7 will become famous soon enoughTroutbum7 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Entomology - Flies - Pictures???

Terry,
This may be a little late, but better late than never. I read into your location, so I don't know if it will help because I believe it is primarily for the North East and Midwest. Anyway, there is a man named Ted Fauceglia who has published a book specifically directed towards Mayflies, from nymph to spinner. It is called [I]Mayflies[I], it covers Major Eastern and Midwestern hatches and is published by StackPole Publishing. It is truly a work of art. Mr Fauceglia has spent a very long time putting this piece together and it shows in the finished product. The photos are absolutely stunning. It is almost a photo work rather than a informative work, but don't get me wrong it is loaded with great patterns and info. He gives his information in easy to understanding wording, but he also includes the latin terminology. The text ranges from Hexagenia's to Trico's, so you've got a plethora of bugs to see. To sum it up you've got excellent pictures of Mayflies, the imitations to match from nymph to spinner and the hatch chart to boot. For my money, this is one of the best books out there for identifying the natural and then selecting the flies to match. Check it out, it's well worth it. Good luck!