The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Entomology - Flies - Pictures???

Hey Guys,
Now another crazy question from yours truely!!!

Is there a web site/book that shows the picture of the actual real life fly compared to a picture of the actual tied fly with common name of the real fly and the name of the tied fly?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 08-26-2005, 01:53 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Entomology - Flies - Pictures???

i'm not really sure if there is a whole book or not. a guy at work has one that he got at walmart that has some. when i bought my tieing kit i stopped in at barnes and nobles. they had several books that showed different flies and i know they had one that did compare some.(didn't look at it to hard $35 book and just starting out) i would try them if you have one close or anyother good book store. i would imagine there is one out there somewhere. have seen a couple on e-bay also. don't know if they go into the detail that you want though.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Thanks Freezey Man!

I found this site. This guy has taken some awesome pictures of some fly and given some short info on each.

http://www.thomasames.com/insects

Let me know if anyone else has a site. I'm still searching for something that shows both in comparison.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 08-26-2005, 11:43 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

bugs give me the creeps!
Old 08-26-2005, 11:46 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

bugs no problem my wife in the morning problem.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:58 PM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough

Terry, you might check out this source for info and photos of Texas insects.

http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/
Old 09-14-2005, 03:44 PM

Taxon will become famous soon enoughTaxon will become famous soon enough

Terry-

There are some books that do a good job of showing both the actual insect stages, and good imitative patterns. Given your geographic location (Texas), the one I would recommend for you is Western Mayfly Hatches, co-written by Rick Hafele and Dave Hughes, and published last year. However, as the title indicates, it only covers mayflies.

The website I recommend is www.westfly.com. Select California (closest state to Texas that Westfly covers), click on Entomology, select insect by either (common or scientific) name.

For example, let's say you are interested in tying flies for fishing the Hex hatch. Under mayflies, select either the common name (Hex) or the scientific name (Hexagenia limbata). There is a discussion of the insect, and you can see a picture of both the immature and winged stages by clicking Quick Tip: The Hex Hatch. You can also see recommended imitative patterns by clicking the flyMatch button.

Taxon
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Old 09-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Taxon,
The Fly Match is exactly what I have been looking for. I appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 09-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Its easy to get caught up in the details, but profile and size are what's most important. Multiple sizes of adams and elk hair caddis will cover most all needs. (Yes the prior statement was hypocritical, as I won't seek trout with less than 50 different dries of 30 different descriptions on my person. And then I will still likely put on a copper john and a soft hackle.)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:19 PM

DAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enoughDAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enough

The interest in the relationship of the natural versus the artificial is something of course in my life time and other skilled fly fishers that l know of have taken a great interst in. In conclusion of that, l believe that one can get ones way of thought far to fixated on that issue.

For sure there are known fly patterns that under given prevailing situations will likely outscore other flies used at that time, provided such things as observation and presention values are correct.

There are two very simple facts that we as fly fisherman should never forget.
The first is that we are not fish and do not see, hear, tast or think as they do. The fishes life is essentially one that is dependant on good enviromental conditions and the primary sense of survival, food source being the most important.

From the human perspective, we endeavor to catch that fish by very many ways. Fly fishing being one of those choices.
No man has ever as yet, or will close copy a natural organism to the point that it cannot be easily recognised as a copy.
In respect of that, additionally we tie a fly on a metal hook and then attach it to a filament.
And in almost all cases we are not able to fish that fly in any way that truely resembles the way of a natural organism, either above or below the water surface, but we can get close, close enough to decieve a fish.

That is the cruz of the matter. Whatever it is you fish with is simply a act of deception so far as the fishes ability is to determine that.
But we all know that the more a fish is subject to the human presence and what it is we are trying to do to catch it, then the more wiser that fish will become. But they will still make mistakes at times.

Ultimately the best fly fishers in the world are those persons who have had years of experience and that they have come to understand to some extent how a fish sees what it does and how to choose and present a artificial fly to decieve that fish.
More to the point how to present that fly to the fishes eye in the best possible way, without the fish being aware you are there.

That in some ways has no bearing when you are stuffing the heck out of a bunch of stock fish that have recently been introduced into a system and have no real way of sense as a fish that has been either born in that water or at least has been there for a good period of time and some what adjusted to its new surroundings.

In truth there are very few major food sources that a trout will see on a daily basis. And that will vary depending on the particular water systen they live in.
Hear of the White river it is primarily crustaceans, scuds, sowbugs, crawdads, etc. At times caddis and some mayfly will be abundant and chironomids.

Fly fishing does give you a wide choice so far as how you choose to fish, dry fly, emergers, nymph, streamers etc, one of those will be without a doubt the most productive on any day.
All require very different degrees of skill.
In truth fly fishers do make life difficult for them selves. It would be far easier to fish with a sinker and a worm than for example fight with a 4O mile per hour wind on a bitterly cold day !!!

I choose to fly fish on any given day the way l wish, sure it may be a tuff call on some days to fish only with a dry fly, when l know good and well l could nail the heck out of fish with a sowbug. But it becomes a challenge and one that ironically will give you a greater leerning and understanding of fly fishing skills.
You learn nothing if you persist only fishing with a woolly bugger, and nothing else.

For myself, l know good and well that l can catch 90% of the trout l fish for with around 10 flies, world wide. I choose to use more because certain flies lend themselves to a different technique of fly fishing.
But saying that do not become fixed in that way of thought. I can give you a 1000 variables to that one, such as a greased up streamer fished on the surface or a Elk hair caddis fished on a sunk line. It works at times, l can assure you.

The fish has the last word every time so far as that is concerned.
I always tell my students to think before they fish.

Case in point here a few days ago, Whilst guiding on the Norfork river. Low water, bright morning sun from a easterly direction.

I set up my client with the rig l knew darn well would catch him fish.
He proceeded to fish east side of the shallow water run we were going to fish and started to cast away. Not a fish showed any interest. My initial interest was to see how well he could cast and dead drift the small midge pupa he was using. I knew well enough the odds of catching fish with that approach were more or less zero, dispite good presentations. Given his choice of direction to fish that fly.

The fish has to see your fly to start with, and in a way that it is not alarmed by your presence.

After a short time l asked him if he had any idea why he was not having any interest from the rising trout. He did now have a answer for that reason, other than the fly was the reason !!!

I then proceeded to have him walk downstream below the shoal, and back up to the west side, and then resume his presentations in a more up stream and slightly across direction.
That enabled him to begin to catch some 14 fish from that zone.

I then educated him as to why he was now catching fish.

1. He was now in a position not to spook fish from the shadows and movement, as was evident whilst he was fishing on the east side of that holding water.

2. That by fishing in a more upstream direction it lessoned his presence and that the presentation of that small midge fly could be made in a more natural way so far as the stream drift was concerned, and to the fishes eye.

There are times that a fish will have a blind side due to intense direction of light angle !!

I guess the point l am tying to make is this, and it is one l see countless times.

The fly is not the only answer for success, you have to take many other factors into consideration, such as the above for one.

It is my conclusion that many flyfishers do not pay close enough attention to other factors other than the fly. That is as important as your choice of fly, if not a great deal more in my book.

Always remember it is a simple act of deception that we as humans endeavor to practice so far as catching a fish with the fly rod is concerned.

It is not the fly that matters it is how they see it !!!

Davy Wotton

AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS OF FLY FISHING

WHITE RIVER FLY FISHISHING GUIDE SERVICE

EDITORIAL AND CONSULTANCY FOR FLY FISHING PRODUCTS-PUBLICATIONS