The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2008, 09:09 AM

burns is on a distinguished road
Default Crayfish pattern...

I just started fishing a stream called the Patuxent in Maryland. There are LOADS of crayfish in there, big ones, and it is where the Patuxent Special was invented. Does anyone know of any other specifically good crayfish patterns that I might want to try there?

Gracias.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:22 AM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird
Default Re: Crayfish pattern...

Hi, I am not sure about that place in Maryland.
But I have used similar to these with success in some other places..

Click the image to open in full size.

also check this out...

Fishing With Crayfish Patterns
Old 09-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I tie one that is a MULTI TASKING fly. Very easy, but I am sure it has been taken as a Crawfish when fished off the bottom and a BROWN when fished in the middle/sub-surface.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Burns,

I haven't fished them but here are a couple from Kaufmann's. If Whitlock designed it I bet it works. The Hogan's Puff is an interesting tye. Look where he put the eyes.

Frank

Whitlock's Crayfish

Hogan's Puff Clawdad
Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 PM

burns is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses guys. Frank, that first Whitlock pattern looks like a good resemblance of the crayfish in Patuxent - I'll look into that one.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Attachment 1273

This is called The Moose Mane Crayfish, the instructions would be found in the September 1980 Fly Fisherman Magazine. The issue regards fly fishing in Maine. You might want to check their archives for the pattern. It would take me for ever to try to explain the tie.

You can adopt any color to it that you need and if you're looking for one that looks real when dragged across the bottom this will do.

Good Luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_01720001.JPG (73.2 KB, 377 views)
Old 12-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

SWEET TIE! (does it come in foam.....just kidding)
Old 12-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

No but the wrap on the abdomen section is the old swannundaze plastic!!!

I actually did some using natural dyed raffia to replace the plastic but even when coated with tough feather they didn't hold up well to the teeth of the trout.

This one is old but has been fished. Some of the others have lost their pheasant tail legs.

I found them a nightmare to cast. The hooks are wrapped with lead.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:27 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

bought a large lot of the swannundaze (not made anymore) pm if interested for it..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-04-2010, 02:07 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I've tied a bunch of these lately. From the "Winter" Fly Tyer Magazine.

Fly Tyer Magazine, Fly Tying, Fly Recipes, Fly Patterns, Fly Fishing - The River Knight

They are very realistic. They are easier to tie than it appears. One of the things that made it easier for me was super gluing eyes, etc until I could coat it with epoxy. Head cement made it easier to shape the claws once I clipped out the end of the feather. I also did a little coloring of the foam with a sharpie since it was going to get a coat of epoxy anyway.