The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 10:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Picking a Vise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
The only upgrade I did was add cam jaws just 'cuz I could and because, being a productive member of society I found it my duty to help keep that shop in Florida open!
Good man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Another consideration is the base, a platform (standard base) that goes anywhere or a clamp.
Good point! I prefer the platform.

MP
Old 11-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
The other camp is the non-rotary camp. These fly tyers aren't concerned about wrapping materials rotary style. These vises are simple designs. Regal, some Dyna Kings, and Anvil vises are examples. I am part of this camp. I use a Regal Medallion Vise with the stainless steel jaws. I use it for its simplicity and hook holding power.

There are many ways to go. Good luck on your search.

MP
As info, Peak now does a non-rotary vise as well, and I think its the sharpest looking vise on the market. Its also well priced- NEW RELEASE! Peak NON ROTARY Fly Tying VISE - Ship WW - eBay (item 200403978036 end time Nov-03-10 21:22:02 PDT)

Click the image to open in full size.

That said, I would go with a rotary vise, and I would probably pick the Peak.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:42 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
Great suggestions appreciate the recommendations. How about tools?
Tools: Scissors, bobbins, hair stackers, Martinelli whip finisher go top of line.
Oh, and a good set of barb pinching pliers (must have smooth jaws).
Old 11-02-2010, 07:58 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Lots of good info here. Thanks for all the comments. You guys are making it hard to decide since there are so many good vises out there. I am leaning towards a rotary thou.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:16 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
Lots of good info here. Thanks for all the comments. You guys are making it hard to decide since there are so many good vises out there. I am leaning towards a rotary thou.
After you've narrowed it down to few vises in your price range you might check out your local shop and see how each vise feels to you. Some shops will allow you to tie a little with their demo vises or, if you have a good fly fishing club near you, join up and look into going to tying classes, get togethers or tying demo's they might have.
Ain't nothing like trying them out for yourself!

Last edited by Jackster; 11-03-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:35 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

There are a few shops in my area that offer tying classes that I have looked into. Plus the local Trout Unlimited Chapter that I am a member of offers an occasional tying session that I will most likely attend. Might have to get a aye check-up before I start thou.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 AM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

I'm another Renzetti Fan. I have been tying on a a traveler for about 15 years and it's as good today as the day I bought it.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Tracker!
You'll be able to tie your own shad flies.

MP
Old 11-03-2010, 01:32 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I used a fixed vise, and finally bought a Peak a few years ago. I use the rotary function for winding on chenille on flies like a Green Weenie... FAST The Peak has a rotary tension knob that allows you to lock the vise at any angle you need. That's a feature that is very handy for me, but one that vises like the Regal Medallion feature as well. My biggest complaint with a fixed vise was not being able to see all angles of the fly, and the Peak has solved that problem nicely. I had considered a Regal as well, but be aware that not all Regals rotate. The Peak's platform weighs 5lbs, and simply isn't going to move. I've had other platforms that weighed 2lbs, and they can be pulled around a bit. I would say any of the all metal big names will work just fine.

I like Griffin bobbin holders, whip finishing tools, and hair stackers. Dr. Slick scissors are very nice, and that's all I use. I began using dental floss threaders to thread bobbin holders last year, and like that better than the tools offered specifically for that purpose. I have a dubbing tool, but spin dubbing on by hand 99.99% of the time, and use a small pair of wire cutters to clip excess wire on flies. The best tool I've bought in the past couple years is a magnifying lens on a flexible arm! The Peak vise has a hole in the platform to accept such lens, and I don't know how I ever tied small flies without one. It makes tying 1000X easier, and if it looks good magnified, it looks great to the naked eye. Another nifty tool of sorts is an Orvis head cement dispenser. I spent too much time unscrewing the lid of stinking head cement, dipping a pin in and transferring it to a fly head. The Orvis squeeze bottle is re-fillable, and puts the head cement right where it needs to be w/o the stink.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I used a fixed vise, and finally bought a Peak a few years ago. I use the rotary function for winding on chenille on flies like a Green Weenie... FAST The Peak has a rotary tension knob that allows you to lock the vise at any angle you need. That's a feature that is very handy for me, but one that vises like the Regal Medallion feature as well. My biggest complaint with a fixed vise was not being able to see all angles of the fly, and the Peak has solved that problem nicely. I had considered a Regal as well, but be aware that not all Regals rotate. The Peak's platform weighs 5lbs, and simply isn't going to move. I've had other platforms that weighed 2lbs, and they can be pulled around a bit. I would say any of the all metal big names will work just fine.

I like Griffin bobbin holders, whip finishing tools, and hair stackers. Dr. Slick scissors are very nice, and that's all I use. I began using dental floss threaders to thread bobbin holders last year, and like that better than the tools offered specifically for that purpose. I have a dubbing tool, but spin dubbing on by hand 99.99% of the time, and use a small pair of wire cutters to clip excess wire on flies. The best tool I've bought in the past couple years is a magnifying lens on a flexible arm! The Peak vise has a hole in the platform to accept such lens, and I don't know how I ever tied small flies without one. It makes tying 1000X easier, and if it looks good magnified, it looks great to the naked eye. Another nifty tool of sorts is an Orvis head cement dispenser. I spent too much time unscrewing the lid of stinking head cement, dipping a pin in and transferring it to a fly head. The Orvis squeeze bottle is re-fillable, and puts the head cement right where it needs to be w/o the stink.
Ditto what Frank said! I love my Peak but any of the big name vices will work just fine.

Frank: I've been looking at getting a magnifying lens on a flexible arm, which one did you buy?

Larry