The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 11:18 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Picking a Vise

My kids want to buy me a vise for XMAS. I have never onwed one and for that matter never tied a fly in my life. That being said I want to buy one that I will not grow out of so I am not looking for a starter vise. How about some suggestions. Suggestion on thoses have to have tools to get started would alos be appreciateted.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Picking a Vise

That's a great idea for a Xmas presentGot a Peak Rotary for a while like many forum members and I'm very pleased with it,not sure you can find a better one for the same price
Old 11-01-2010, 12:33 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Just ran across this on e-bay. Best price that I've ever seen on the Danvise since no shipping. Had to share this with you and others in case. I've used one for awhile now but want to upgrade. Served me well. This one is not mine.
Danvise Rotary Fly Tying Vise New w/ DVD* - Hurt Box - eBay (item 140471953740 end time Nov-28-10 19:00:42 PST)

Moderators; please remove if this link is not acceptable.

Last edited by Jimmie; 11-01-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: not mine
Old 11-01-2010, 01:06 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

I got Renzetti Traveler Vise about three years ago and am really happy with this vise. I tied from flies as big as size 1 to size 20 flies.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:31 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad you are thinking of getting a vise that will last. Many people get into the pitfall of getting a vise then growing out of it. Do it right the first time.

My circle of fly tying friends are split into two groups: rotary tyers and non-rotary tyers.

True rotary tying involves using a vise that will allow a hook to spin on its shank axis. This allows materials to be wrapped onto the hook by spinning a handle on the back end of the vise. Renzetti, Dyna King, C&F, Peak, some Regals, and Danvise are true rotary vises. If I tied Rotary, I would be using a Dyna King Barracuda. It turns smoothly and has great hook holding power.

The other camp is the non-rotary camp. These fly tyers aren't concerned about wrapping materials rotary style. These vises are simple designs. Regal, some Dyna Kings, and Anvil vises are examples. I am part of this camp. I use a Regal Medallion Vise with the stainless steel jaws. I use it for its simplicity and hook holding power.

There are many ways to go. Good luck on your search.

MP
Old 11-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've been using a Renzetti Traveler since 1995 and like it. Like Tex said, it holds from a #20 or smaller all the way to a 5/0 salmon hook and holds them well. These are rotary and work well if you use that feature also.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-01-2010, 05:36 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Great suggestions appreciate the recommendations. How about tools?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:29 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

What is important about tools is that they fit and feel good in your hands. I use tools from most of the major brands.

MP
Old 11-02-2010, 03:59 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I'll be getting a vise too and have decided it would be a Peak or Renzetti. Get something good right off.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:57 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I prefer rotary but mainly for easily checking the progress and symmetry of the fly from all angles.
A rotary vise functions very well and most times as a non-rotary! The non-rotary is just that... non-rotary.
I went with a Renzetti a long time ago. The only upgrade I did was add cam jaws just 'cuz I could and because, being a productive member of society I found it my duty to help keep that shop in Florida open!
I went a level up from the Traveler but have many friends who have the Traveler, use the heck out of them and have no plans of upgrading.

For one of the club vises we have a Danvise but rarely use it because the jaws somehow got chipped. Can't say if that's typical of the Danvise or not but I find it a bit worrisome.

Another consideration is the base, a platform (standard base) that goes anywhere or a clamp. the clamp is most stable but may not fit on some tables. Personally, I haul the base around when travelling. Too many times I had to use an up-ended coffee table to find a spot to clamp to.