The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 03:17 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road
Default pheasant tail nymph

im just wondering how you guys to your pheasant tail nymphs. do you use a bead, ribbing, peacock herl. but im really interested in what hook you guys use. My family has a debate on this all the time. My uncle likes to use curved shank hooks like a scud hook while my grandfather uses a straight shank hook. what looks more natural and what do guys prefer.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:02 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: pheasant tail nymph

I have tied mine both ways. I prefer the straight hook better. to me it seems to look better in the water.

John
Old 12-03-2008, 05:07 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road

my uncle seems to think the opposite. he thinks that the curved hooks look more natural.

have you had more success with one over the other.

here's a picture of a mayfly nymph. to me it looks curved.
http://www.bugsurvey.nsw.gov.au/html...-ny-a_col.html
Old 12-03-2008, 05:15 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

I can see his point, because the nymph, as it comes up the the surface to leave the water, will curve its body to move in the water. I tie mine with the tail bent down at a slight angle (I wrap the body so that it starts around the curve of the hook).

I really haven't seen a difference between the two. As it was explained to me by the person i learned to fly fish from. The fish don't look at the fly as a whole. the fish will focus on a few characteristics that are the same as the hatching bug (ex. color, shape, etc).

I hope this makes sense.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:47 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

For me it seems size and color are the two MOST important points when trying to imitate a bug. After that everything is iceing on the cake.
Good fishing to all and to all a good hatch
Bear
Old 12-03-2008, 05:54 PM

I forgot about the size, sorry

John
Old 12-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

My wife told me "size doesn't matter".

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 12-03-2008, 11:11 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

HAHA
As long as the drift is right
Good fishin
Bear
Old 12-04-2008, 10:39 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

I use a #14 straight hook. No BH. I thought a G.R.H.E. was supposed to be sort of a meaty nymph but the PT was supposed be be rather slim, at least that's how I tie mine. In any event, three barbs of pheasant and copper wire rib for abdomen, peacock herl for thorax. I use some more pheasant tail for the wing case and then fold it under for the legs.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:07 AM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

I've always tied them on straight hook, as thats the way Frank Sawyer's pattern specified. I like the idea of cuved shanked ptns though.... their both right.