The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 01:28 AM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Gummy minnow

Has anyone ever used the Gummy minnows they sell at Cabela's and Bass pro shop? Pictured below.

Click the image to open in full size.

They seem as though they would mimic bait fish better than a clouser.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Gummy minnow

I've not fished any, but the general idea is that while they don't move as much in the water as a Clouser, they feel much more real once the fish bites and thus more bites are brought to hand. They also are known to be quite durable, as long as they're not being cast at toothy fish.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:55 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

I have one of those. I have only fished it a couple of times and I have never caught anything with it. You would think that they would work like a charm. They are gummy and if a fish were to bite down on it they wouldn't let go because they think its a real fish.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:38 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

Never tried them, but you have mad me curious. I will look into themand maybe give them a try.

John
Old 12-12-2008, 01:16 PM

Guy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwater2002 View Post
I have one of those. I have only fished it a couple of times and I have never caught anything with it. You would think that they would work like a charm. They are gummy and if a fish were to bite down on it they wouldn't let go because they think its a real fish.
Gummies indeed are a great baitfish imitation if made right to swim properly and that is the key to get bit in the first place. The problem is gummies are not that easy to make.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:02 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I love those flies, have cuaght everything from smallies to hybrid striper to largemouth and rainbows(stockers). Got into a mess of crappie on them this fall also. The cool thing is you can use a perm. marker and color and desinge them mnay ways.
Bear
Old 12-12-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Gummies indeed are a great baitfish imitation if made right to swim properly and that is the key to get bit in the first place. The problem is gummies are not that easy to make.

I have not gotten into fly tying yet, so I am not worried about buying them.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:26 PM

Guy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I have not gotten into fly tying yet, so I am not worried about buying them.
Whether I make the gummie or a chinese lady does makes no difference,,,, Commercially tied doesn't necessarily mean better or consistent quality.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Some guys up here use them in SW to imitate "rain bait" and bay anchovies- small fish 1-2" long that migrate out of the bays in Sept-Oct. for false albacore with very good results. And a lot of guys use their larger cousins on surf casting gear for stripers.

They can be a 1 fish per fly thing though...

peregrines
Old 12-12-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Whether I make the gummie or a chinese lady does makes no difference,,,, Commercially tied doesn't necessarily mean better or consistent quality.
True, but when you do not have anytime to tie flies you cannot always be picky. Plus I get all my flies minus the gummies from a fly shop where they tie their own flies.