The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 09:35 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Is it possible to have too many flies?

I have only been at this fly fishing thing a very short time, but in that small amount of time i have amassed a substantial collection of flies.

I have 6 of the W&M/Superfly gray plastic with foam interior boxes of various sizes, a large latching Orvis hard plastic with one side foam the other with three spring loaded doors with individual compartments. Not to mention the 3 Perrine aluminum cases full of old, old flies i inherited from my great uncle that started this all.

I cant seem to pass up a rack of flies without buying a few. My boxes are mostly full. I have been stocking up on Salmon flies like crazy. It is almost an obsession.

I dont think it is normal as one of my cousins who fly fishes only has one case.

Am i the odd ball?
Old 11-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Is it possible to have too many flies?

Van,

If all you are collecting are flies you are salvageable. Many people have been through what you describe. Sometimes it is a reaction to the suppressed desire to go fishing when other demands hold us back. It is a sort of pacifier or perhaps better put; the buying of the files is a way to achieve satisfaction vicariously through the handling and collecting of the flies. Simply put you are "channeling" and the flies are your "Channeler".With some it wears off for others they continue to horde throughout their life. I have a lot of flies. I also have a collection of materials that began in the late 1960's and I still add things to the inventory in order to conserve some of the vintage supplies. My explanation is simple. I have always been a man of modest income / assets, and as I aged I quickly found that to amass a wealth of fly fishing materials and tackles was something that was well within my means. I was able to do this without guilt to the greatest extent because most purchases were under 100 dollars. Some things were more expensive and for those I used the time honored "Lay Away" buying plan. The aforementioned system of purchasing goods is almost extinct in this age of electronic banking and credit cards but I used it to amass a collection that will last until my death and did so without either debt or guilt.

I have found that some acquisitions are driven by an impulse fermented by the marketing that has always carefully trained its sights on fly fisherman. When you have bought something that you do not need and have no practical use for, you will know! After a few go rounds with this knee jerk response to what ever the market is currently pushing you will build up an immune system that will help to protect both you and your money from making a purchase of something you have no use for. Some things have a way of paying off; I began to buy / collect fly reels made by Hardy of England in 1978 and by 2006 I had a bunch of them. Many were unused and I had no idea of why I had gathered so many. In late 06 and early 07 the reels shot up in their market value due to two considerations. The company announced they were manufacturing in Korea and the Brit Pound was trading at close to 2:1 to the US Dollar. I sold! I sold a lot of reels and some turned out to be worth more than 4 times what I had paid for them years before. So sometimes a habitual buying pattern can pay off....

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-06-2010, 05:32 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Is it possible to have too many flies?Simple answer is NO
one can fish on couple models all year long and I am pretty sure that everyone have some favorites that always try ...but I like having them....all
Old 11-06-2010, 06:43 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'll admit I haven't bought a fly in a long time aside from bass poppers ( I hate tying them) but flies around here are like mushrooms! They just pop up everywhere! I see a fly posted and I either try and tie it or I put my own spin on it. Chances are I'll never fish them, I shouldn't say never but 90% of the time I have three patterns that are my to's and three or four boxes filled with "ideas". Not to mention a foam patch in the truck filled, the sun visors are filled and now even my window sills are loaded with "extras" that I just had to tie!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:47 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Thanks for the encouragement guys, lol. Hardy, you have a way with words and really nailed it right on the head.

While i am overloaded with most other trout dry flies, i could use a few more nymphs, scuds and streamers. I noticed last summer that every fly shop i was in was completely wiped out of Salmon flies. So, now when i see them i load up with a few. I have a few more to buy to fill out the supply i want to have on hand for next spring and summer.

I still need some Steelhead(winter and summer ) and bass flies....
Old 11-06-2010, 11:19 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Wait till you start really getting into tying! You start buying things you never imagined!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:46 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I would say no but if you fish say one stream or river all the time and learn what to use then you might only need one box of flies to get by for that particular place. Otherwise it is good to be prepared.

Last edited by jcw355; 11-07-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Vans: I'd say no and agree 100% with what Ard has said!

Larry
Old 11-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Larry & Vans,

It's always good to know that something I added to the discussion resonated with other posters, that's what keeps me responding to threads.

Thank you,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-07-2010, 11:42 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I'm with others that say "No", can't have too many. In fact I wish that I had a display with the little bins full of flies like you see in a fly shop. Now that said every once in awhile it's fly box cleaning time to have room for the new flies tied. The old ones go to friends, or our FF Club.