The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 02:18 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Show your Winter Flies

I've been out the past few days but it has just been to windy to fly fish, but when i've been able to I've thrown everything but the kitchen sink... nothing is working for me.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:05 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

It took 3 changes of flies, but I finally found got a fish to take one yesterday after about an hour of fishing.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:49 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Nice work! I tried last weekend way east of town and got nothing.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:11 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I caught this one east of town, out past lockwood

d
Old 01-02-2011, 11:21 AM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

I haven't quite figured out how to post pictures in a thread and get the size just right like the picture of your fly. Can anyone give me a quick crash course?

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 01-02-2011, 11:49 AM

flytyer56 is on a distinguished road

I tried my hand at a few woven body nymphs last night. Just messing around to see if I could do it.
What do you think?

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjweller View Post
I haven't quite figured out how to post pictures in a thread and get the size just right like the picture of your fly. Can anyone give me a quick crash course?
Bret, check your PM's.
Then You're The One!!!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some articulated streamers called Circus Peanuts that I have been working on over the Christmas holidays.

Here are some more on the assembly line:

Larry

Old 01-03-2011, 12:41 PM

Nice Larry, I bet those would be killer in Pyramid Lake. When I fish the fast water I use bigger flies, but when I fish the slow seams the PTNs, crispy critters, etc come out of the box and I just drift them along the seam nice and slow.

I am assuming you are stripping those peanuts?

flytyer56, those look fishable. Maybe tie em up with some olive and red instead of the yellow as a change of pace.

In the winter I usually pick a size 3/8 inch nymph to start, then fish through a few patterns of different colors (sparkly gold, green, brown, black) to see if anything gets a hit. Failing that, i change sizes and go through the pattern again. With buggers, cinnamon and green seem to work well on the river, but I think you gotta get winter flies near the bottom to be effective unless you see risers.

d
Old 01-04-2011, 12:04 PM

flytyer56 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestion webrx. I like the looks of them and will try some different color combos.
Then You're The One!!!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:01 PM

yellow and red seem to work good for me, especially in the lakes.

Browns, olives, golds and blacks tend to work better for me on freestones.

Copper Johns seem to work in both - but maybe that is a confidence thing, I have always down well with standard old copper johns.

d