The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 01:01 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Show your Winter Flies

As some of you may know, I like to fish the Truckee River during the winter, and, if you fish freestone rivers, you may also know that winter can have its ups and downs when fishing. Muddy water, high flows, cold and windy. I have found over the last few years anyway that while smaller midges work, and work well, in the slower sections and pools, the fast water may require a fly that is a bit more substantial.

Wooly buggers are great on fast and murky water, and one of my favorites is a fly I put together to imitate a sculpin - I call it the Wooly Sculpin and it has served me well east of town both in and below the riffles.

Click the image to open in full size.

So, here is the "Show Me Yours" part. What is your favorite fly to use in faster winter waters in and around the riffles and runs?

d
Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Show your Winter Flies

I Love Winter, most of my friends believe I need to check into the Warm Springs Mental facility, but winter gives up some great fishing without the pressure and madness of spring, summer and fall. Early on in the winter I usually have on indicators, split shot and two nymph patterns. February is when the fishing really heats up and with some luck we can start to run into a few fish looking to the surface in the late afternoons or on cloudy days. Fishing midge adults and midge pupae in the film is one of my favorite ways to fish period. Here are a couple of my favorite patterns for fishing to rising fish in tailouts, back eddies and slow water seams next to fast water riffles.

My Favorite Insects of winter!

You have to make them so you can see em'

The deadly pupae to trail off the rear!

The Big Ugly all by his lonesome!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Nice flies biggie. I got into a hatch yesterday, but the fish did not take the dries, they wanted the emergers, so, we threw crispy critters at em and it was game on! nobody else on the river but my bud and me.

d
Old 11-26-2010, 07:29 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Webrx
That is an awsome wolly. That would work great on our Erie Tribs steelhead.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:57 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Here are my fast water tubes in the round some are tied on 1.5" copper tubes

Here's the slower water side temple dog style some tied on 1" heavy copper tubes.

When it starts getting really cold I'll fish marabous with alot more flash than I usually like.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:53 AM

Tracker Thanks, I like that one too, sometimes a tie a little flash in the tail as well, seems like the fish on the truckee do need a bit of flash to get thier attention.

WT nice! And I agree, fast, cold murky water needs the big uglies

d
Old 11-28-2010, 02:18 PM

sjs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
As some of you may know, I like to fish the Truckee River during the winter, and, if you fish freestone rivers, you may also know that winter can have its ups and downs when fishing. Muddy water, high flows, cold and windy. I have found over the last few years anyway that while smaller midges work, and work well, in the slower sections and pools, the fast water may require a fly that is a bit more substantial.

Wooly buggers are great on fast and murky water, and one of my favorites is a fly I put together to imitate a sculpin - I call it the Wooly Sculpin and it has served me well east of town both in and below the riffles.

So, here is the "Show Me Yours" part. What is your favorite fly to use in faster winter waters in and around the riffles and runs?

d
dealflydeals has a sculpin pattern that even has eyes for just $.50 a fly.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:45 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I don't fish too many nymphs during the winter but I do like to throw a little bit bigger flies when it's cold and a few of them look like this guy. I also like them in brown colors cause they match most of the sculpins I have seen in the Truckee but I couldn't find any of them in my box right now.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:20 PM

Well,
It appears there are only a handful of us nuts that brave the freezing weather

Im heading to the river today, 20 degrees and sunny right now, supposed to get to 30. gonna try out some of the flies I got in the nymph swap and a few I have stashed away for a chilly day.

Chironomids, buggers, crawdads and zonkers, oh my......

d
Old 12-31-2010, 12:45 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Good luck and stay warm!