The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 08:40 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any flies for carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
You're kidding me, right? This past summer, while wet wading my home Haw river, I found a slightly protruding mid-stream rock and sat down to check the state of my leader and knots after a couple of decent largemouths had drug me through the scree. (I'm not normally that conscientious, but I'm learning). Head down, absorbed in my inspection, I caught movement in my upper peripheral vision and looked up just as a large carp steamed towards me, now not 3 feet away and on collision course. I think he saw me about the same time I saw him and, well, it shocked the bejeezus out of both of us. He started, splashed, and went one way; I toppled off the rock the other.

Spooked indeed.....
HAHAHAHA, thats funny every time I read it
Old 04-19-2009, 10:16 AM

rag will become famous soon enough

I heard a story once, where a guy was knocked off a rock he was sitting on by a Carp....opps, was that you LOL
Old 04-19-2009, 11:42 AM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough

Hey y'all,

Sep: that is a hilarious story!

We have grass carp in our lake at home and they are absolutely HUGE! We usually have to use a bow to fish for most of them... I think it would be a blast to hook up on one of them with my little 5 wt.
Would common carp flies work for grass carp? because I know that grass carp usually only eat vegetation in the lake. Especially after we mow the bank down and grass goes into the lake around the edge, they love that! So I know when to go, but don't know what to really use... Green wooly bugger work good?
Any time that we are going around the bank, they are really skiddish and it's hard to get too close to them... But I think that I'm ready for a challenge, I know where they usually are, so that is to my advantage.

Thanks,
HookEmHorns
Old 04-19-2009, 05:13 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

if they eat grass after you mow the lawn, throw this in right after you mow while they are eating....

Warmwater Fly of the Month TEMPLATE
Old 04-19-2009, 05:31 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Great link man, I'll be playing on that alot. AnyONE that does warm water should check that site out
Bear
Old 04-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome Larry...I love that!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:53 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I was told today by a very good fisherman that he uses a fly to imitate a Mulberry. Apparently along the C&O Canal there are Mulberry bushes around the water. When the bloom and fall off in the water the Carp are all over them.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

RAINY's flies have got you covered

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:53 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Sep, that is hilarious...I can see it all...Would have been great to get that on video...AFV here we come... As far as flies how about a damsel nymph? On the books, I read "Carp on the Fly"; it was very interesting.

Dan