The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 04:41 PM

fishingnj is on a distinguished road
Default Any flies for carp

does any one know of any good flies for carp
Old 01-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any flies for carp

YUP! Rainy's Carp Collection is awesome, but black leeches also, and NYMPHS. It has allot to do with presentation, not so much fly.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:39 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

And don't forget the crawdads and worms
and small light cahills when they are sucking cotton wood seeds.
Joni is right, the trick is getting it close enough for the carp to see in itts feeding line with out spooking it , and be ready for one heck of a fight
Bear
Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 PM

texasflycaster is on a distinguished road

No cottonwoods where we fish for them. We have had luck with bitters and even green woolly buggers at times. Yup - presentation is key. Might check this guy out as he specializes in Carp around here - DFW Fly Fishing .
Old 01-12-2009, 09:35 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
the trick is getting it close enough for the carp to see in itts feeding line with out spooking it.
You're kidding me, right? This past summer, while wet wading my home Haw river, I found a slightly protruding mid-stream rock and sat down to check the state of my leader and knots after a couple of decent largemouths had drug me through the scree. (I'm not normally that conscientious, but I'm learning). Head down, absorbed in my inspection, I caught movement in my upper peripheral vision and looked up just as a large carp steamed towards me, now not 3 feet away and on collision course. I think he saw me about the same time I saw him and, well, it shocked the bejeezus out of both of us. He started, splashed, and went one way; I toppled off the rock the other.

Spooked indeed.....
Old 01-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but the visual is funny! I can see the carp's eyes popping out like in cartoons!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:35 PM

The Grebe is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Any flies for carp

[
I use 12 - 16 bead head nymphs for sight fishing. Let fly settle into the mud or bottom debrie and pop it up when it swims by. We have a regular parade each spring during spawning. Have caught them up to 24 lbs. on this smaller flies.

The Grebe
Old 01-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sep: That was a great story! Still laughing at the thought.

Larry
Old 01-13-2009, 07:35 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

back in MO we called it poor bys bone fishing. Watch those rocks Sep, them little suckers sneak right up on ya lol
Bear
Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 PM

bwo is on a distinguished road

I believe there are several books on carp fishing with the fly. Might pay to do a search on Amazon or some such. Probably a few good pointers to be had.