The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Flies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/)
-   -   Contoversy re: egg patterns (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/744-contoversy-re-egg-patterns.html)

chuck145 12-10-2005 12:12 AM

Contoversy re: egg patterns

I was reading discussion on another forum regarding the ethics of fly fishing using egg patterns. What are they talking about and why would it be an ethics issue? Bear with me guys. I'm new at this. BTW, I like this forum much better.

fshfanatic 12-10-2005 11:19 AM

Re: Contoversy re: egg patterns

You must be talking about UTOTF they are always whining about something over there.

Using egg patterns is no more unethical than using SJW's during high water.

chuck145 12-10-2005 12:16 PM

Thanks for the reply; but, I still need to know what egg patterns are and now I need to know what SJW's are. I have a LL Bean fly fishing book coming for Christmas. Hopefully that will alleviate some of my dumb questions.

easternflyfisher 12-10-2005 01:46 PM

well an egg pattern is a glo bug. basically trout roe.

SJW are san juan worms. worms that are red in color(although they make in many different colors) and are very effective.

hope that answered your question.

Curtis 12-10-2005 07:11 PM

Fanatic is right. Many people will cry about a certain fly not being "politically correct" enough for the fly rod. Yeah, right.

A glo bug or egg fly is as much a fly as many others. It is usually tied with a piece of yarn in the shape of an egg on the hook though they do come tied with a bead or hot glue. They are very effective during the spawn when you want to target the fish below the spawners who are gobbling up the stray eggs.

The san juan worm is also a very productive fly that imitates many natural insects found floating in the water column, especially during the run off when worms get drug into the stream.

I think many people think they are too easy to tie but then those same people don't say anything about a thread midge.

I use them both and like them.

If you are catching fish, then that is really why we do this, right?

BigCliff 12-13-2005 09:10 AM

I really don't consider using glo bugs/egg patterns to be unethical. Dipping them in salmon egg juice is another matter, but as long as its scent/taste free, a fly is a fly.

I would think that those who would complain about egg patterns being unethical are the same folks who think using any synthetic materials of a fly keeps it from being a "fly" and that those of us who use "plastic" rods (graphite) instead of their beloved bamboo aren't really fly fishers. We may not be die-hard traditionalists who think its okay to spend twice as much time maintaining a fly line as they do fishing it, but its all still fly fishing in my book.

I'll have to admit, I saw some "fly rod spinnerbaits" on ebay the other day and had doubts as to whether that counts, but you know, why not? I figure as long as the weight of the line is propelling the hook-bearing-non-scented-or-flavored-item through the air and not the other way around, its fly fishing.

wfulps 07-24-2007 04:29 PM

As a fishing guide, I've found a great many fishermen will gripe about people using glo-bugs but have no problem fishing 2 or 3 flies at once. Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of the old "hopper-dropper", but it amazes me that fishing multiple flies in tandem is not considered unfair to the fish, but egg flies are strictly taboo.

www.MissouriTroutHunter.com
www.OzarkTaxidermy.com