The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2005, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Scents on flys

As the starter of the fuss, I'd like to clarify that I didn't mean that using scents on flies, just that I think it may be outside the bounds of what might be considered "fly fishing". I didn't mean to come across as snobbish and condescending of those who use anything but flies to catch fish. Shoot, I often use my 3wt to catch sunfish to throw out as bait on a stout baitcaster to catch catfish and big bass.

I also think the scent on a fly can turn fish away if not natural. Grabbing a clump of vegetation out of the water and rubbing that on your fly can help give it a more natural aroma. I recently saw a Bahamian bonefish guide grab a wad of sand, put the fly in the middle of it and squeeze it for a few minutes to get some of that smell into the fly.

As far as activity goes, I'd love for those wanting to learn to ask more questions so those of us who think we know something about the sport can help out instead of going back and forth about how the cold sucks and stinky waders and all that. Tell us what you want to know and we'll be happy to help! Curtis' funky waders may be amazing and dumbfounding, but that won't help anybody catch more fish!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:10 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff
As the starter of the fuss, I'd like to clarify that I didn't mean that using scents on flies, just that I think it may be outside the bounds of what might be considered "fly fishing". I didn't mean to come across as snobbish and condescending of those who use anything but flies to catch fish. Shoot, I often use my 3wt to catch sunfish to throw out as bait on a stout baitcaster to catch catfish and big bass.

I also think the scent on a fly can turn fish away if not natural. Grabbing a clump of vegetation out of the water and rubbing that on your fly can help give it a more natural aroma. I recently saw a Bahamian bonefish guide grab a wad of sand, put the fly in the middle of it and squeeze it for a few minutes to get some of that smell into the fly.

As far as activity goes, I'd love for those wanting to learn to ask more questions so those of us who think we know something about the sport can help out instead of going back and forth about how the cold sucks and stinky waders and all that. Tell us what you want to know and we'll be happy to help! Curtis' funky waders may be amazing and dumbfounding, but that won't help anybody catch more fish!
Thats true and I will be good. My bad..
Old 12-19-2005, 10:57 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

one thing to remember here is that scents can be both helpful and hurtful like bigcliff stated. most fisherman/woman don't realize that things that they do before going out fishing can scent there lures and line. things such as suntan lotion(very common), fueling your car or boat, and even the simple act of washing your hands after doing these things.(lots of soaps have perfumes in them for smell) one simple way to put on suntan lotion is to use rubber gloves. i don't know about elsewhere but here in the north a lot of gas stations are starting to put a scent remover near the pumps.(takes away the fuel smell from your hands)

always remeber that a scent can be anything that is not natural to the fishing environment. and they can, could, or will ruin a very productive fishing day. seen my partner make some of these mistakes more than once just last year bass fishing.

don't know where i saw it at but someplace sold a scent remover that could be carried in your tackle box or fly vest. if anyone knows where i might have seen this at maybe they could post it. i'm wanting to say bass pro shops, cabelas, or my local fly shop. found it cabelas carries it for one. and i'm sure it's not the only place. the stuff is called extreme scent eliminator hand wipes. i would imagine that the full creel might even carry this product. i've never tried it so i don't know how well it works.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:57 PM

chuck145 will become famous soon enoughchuck145 will become famous soon enough

Hey guys, I dont take any of this personally. I enjoy the banter and I certainly appreciate any information I can get. It's helpful to know that some things are not considered "ethical" by some. If I were fishing with someone that had invited me to their place, it helps me to know if something might or might not be the right thing to do. Mike, to show you my heart is right, if you will send me your address, I will send you a bottle of salmon egg scent.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:19 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck145
Hey guys, I dont take any of this personally. I enjoy the banter and I certainly appreciate any information I can get. It's helpful to know that some things are not considered "ethical" by some. If I were fishing with someone that had invited me to their place, it helps me to know if something might or might not be the right thing to do. Mike, to show you my heart is right, if you will send me your address, I will send you a bottle of salmon egg scent.
I would then have to get rid of the "Powerbiat juice" I keep in my pack..

Old 02-15-2006, 07:39 PM

BamaJack will become famous soon enoughBamaJack will become famous soon enough

Speaking of scents, I have thought about making a concoction of some squeshed caddis fly nymphs, mayfly nymphs, and stone flies adding some water then pour the more liquid contents through a dish rag (don't leave this for your wife so find!) then put the juice in a bottle and keep in the frig. Then when you add silicone dressing to your fly add a drop or two of this concoction. It would be interesting to see what results would occur. Probably be better if it was all one species of fly mixed with nymph. As a Fisheries Biologist this would make interesting research. Surely I can get a
1/2 million dollar Grant to research this HA! I still may do it - if so I wil let you know if it makes a difference.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:17 AM

ffffg is on a distinguished road

hidding human scent makes most sence to me.. i used to use wd 40 religously when trolling for land locked slamon and trout.. some swear by it, i caught plenty without it before.. color, size, and presentation is obvoiusly more imp.. i would alwas use a jounted black rapala at sunset personally beliving the noise it made helped when visibility got less.. just my belief no proof.. .. interesting tho im being coached by a guy who has a cabin on no tellim lake, huge trout average 5 pounds, and get much bigger.. . i pumped him what to do at ice off, he said olive scuds 12-14, and scud scent.. never heard of it, dont know what it is, but imnot going to drive most of a day, stay in a hotel, go to these huge lenghts and not have scud scent, whatever it is,, where ever you get it, i have no idea.. let you know after ice off...... dave
Old 10-11-2007, 12:51 PM

HELLFIGHTER5308 is on a distinguished road

If using a scent is considered unethical by the purists, then why use an artificial fly that looks like the real thing? If you really want to be challenged why not entice the fish to take a bare barbless hook? Now that would be a challenge and give the fish a sporting chance! If you can do that, you are good!
Old 10-11-2007, 01:27 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

I for one have no problem with scent useage. My good friend Alvin Therieault in fact markets a line of flies that come scented. Being from Patten Maine and a Warden/tyer and guide he knows what works. In fact I fished some of his "scented" flies and they neither helped nor hurt me.

The truth is..unless you want to go around sniffing every flybox in the world. Who is going to know if it is or isn't scented?

The whole thing is silly. If this is that important to you.... you need to get a life!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 10-11-2007, 04:59 PM

DJones will become famous soon enoughDJones will become famous soon enough

I've heard that mashed up power bait makes a great dubbing wax.