The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 05:42 PM

jessie2702 is on a distinguished road
Default Any fly suggestions for newb

I am new to fly fishing and this forum and I was wondering if anyone from Oklahoma was on this forum to give me some good starting out fly advice. Just the few basics flies that you always have luck with around oklahoma around this time of year. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any fly suggestions for newb

Hey Jessie, welcome to the forum. What kind of fish will you be chasing? --- There's lots of smallmouth, largemouth, panfish and carp fishing you can do as well as trout fishing in the Blue, Broken Bow and Lower illinois.

If you're going to fish for trout, you might want to check in a local fly shop like Three Rivers Fly Shop Three Rivers Fly Shop - Broken Bow, OK in Broken Bow OK. They can help with some good suggestions based on recent conditions ( water levels, temperature, and recent hatches) and can also give you some pointers on techniques, rigging and where to go.

You can also pick up some basic stuff like a couple black and olive weighted woolly buggers size 8, some nymphs (pheasant tail and 18, gold ribbed hare's ear) and some dry flies (Parachute Adams or Parachute Blue Wing Olives 16 and 18, Elk Hair Caddis 16, Griffith's Gnat 18) and some pink and apricot colored egg patterns. These are go to patterns for trout pretty much anywhere and would be a good choice as you start to stock up a fly box.

Since you're new to fly fishing, you might want to see if there's a fly fishing group near you. Groups like Trout Unlimited (TU) and clubs affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers (FFF) have informative meetings, casting clinics, tying classes and group trips to local waters-- and it's a good way to meet some new fishing buddies. You'll learn a ton and get a lot of help getting started. TU has a few chapters in OK and so does the Federation of Fly Fishers with 3 affiliated clubs in Tulsa, Tahlequah (NE OK) and Bartlesville (Greene County)

You can do searches for contact info here:

for FFF affiliated clubs: Locate a Club

and for TU: Council/Chapter Contacts | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

Hopefully some folks from Oklahoma will jump in here with more suggestions, but feel free to ask questions as they come up for you-- folks here are pretty friendly so just make yourself at home.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:15 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Jessie,

Welcome to the forum, my wife was born in and grew up in Shawnee are you close to there? We live in Alaska so I can't be much help other than what I can write to you on a computer.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-18-2010, 12:43 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I would recommend checking out youtube for instruction on how to tie a specific fly, or a specific technique.

For flies I would start with the San Juan worm, Woolly Bigger, elk hair caddis, and a gold ribbed hairs ear, in that order. That will help get you some of the basics down, as well as give you flies that will work for anything from trout to panfish to bass. Heck, you might even grab a carp on the woolly bugger.

Best of luck to you, and Welcome to the forum!
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-18-2010, 10:24 PM

jessie2702 is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks for all the great info guys. Really appreciate it. I live right outside of okc so fairly close to Shawnee. I am mostly going for largemouth when i m here and some trout. We have a cabin in Colorado and thats where I got hooked on fly fishing to begin with so when I am there it will be trout. And again Thanks for the warm welcome. Jessie
Old 12-18-2010, 10:48 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Hello Jessie,
If your going after trout I would point you to have a look at Charlie Craven's Fly Box for tutorials and examples of fly's that work in Colorado. YouTube has good information and Google should be your best friend.
Welcome and Best of Luck to you.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:53 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Jessie,

Welcome to the forum, my wife was born in and grew up in Shawnee are you close to there? We live in Alaska so I can't be much help other than what I can write to you on a computer.

Ard
Shawnee...Makes me think of Van's Pig Stand...yum My family is from Seminole and Shawnee.

Dave

Jesse, if you go down to Broken Bow PM me and I can give you some help on where to go that won't be so crowded.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:52 AM

flybillinma is on a distinguished road

If you're looking for help with fly selection, you can't go wrong with a book called 24 Greatest Flies. I bought this book last fall and have found it invaluable!