The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 12:56 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default What's on your winter tying list?

As winter finally sets in and it gets too cold to fish consistently, I think that most of us start spending more time at the desk, tying fluff to hooks and dreaming of warmer days to come.

I was just wondering what everyone's go to patterns were that they never seem to have enough of? Anyone going to try a new pattern?

Mine seem to be bead head rainbow princes and black bertha's for wets and elk hair caddis and comparadun's for dries. I've also started tying a bunch of Letort Hoppers, since their pretty easy to tie.

I'm also planning on going through the flies that I got from the different fly swaps this year, since there are some stellar patterns in there but I'd hate to use and then lose a pattern from the actual swap.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-18-2010, 01:41 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's on your winter tying list?

Hmmmm.....This past week has been soft hackles and parachute BWO's. The week before was parachute BWO's and Wooly Buggers. I still need to tie more Wooly Buggers, but don't feel like it. That's odd, because Wooly Buggers were my #1 fly until this past year.....
Old 12-18-2010, 03:20 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Need to tie some purple Wooly Buggers. I think that I've got the other colors covered.
I've been tying some articulated streamers; lots of Copper Johns; para. BWO's, para.Adams.
The latest are or I should say will be tiny flies. I just bought 20, 22, 24, 26, 28 hooks. I'm still setting at my desk frozen staring at them. Sort of like a dog watching TV.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:36 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with those tiny one's, Jimmie. I haven't tried anything smaller than a 20, and that's been rough. But I keep thinking about trying a 22 or 24. I guess it's like quiting smoking, ya just need to do it.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:52 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be able to smaller than #14 without a magnifying lens now. I did before (simple thread chironimids #20), but the lens has made tying hackled flies so much easier. A #20 BWO looks huge through a lens!
Old 12-18-2010, 05:10 PM

I think I'm going to have to break down and get one of those. I'm sure my eyes will thank me later(by still working.)
Old 12-18-2010, 05:17 PM

Hi Anthony,
Yeah. Don't be a squinter this winter. Seriously, I have good eyesight, but the lens is indispensible to me now. Tying #20 drys is something that I look foward to, and if it looks good under magnification, it looks perfect to the naked eye.

Jimmie,
What are you using for hackle on your smaller than #20 flies? I bought some Whiting 1/4 saddles #14 and smaller, but might look into a midge saddle. I really only tie 3 different dry flies: Para BWO, Para Adams, and Para Cahill (in that order), with 75% being BWO's.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I use a jewelers lamp with a 4" magnifier and bulb all in one head. You can find them at Home Depot and Lowe's in the lamps area. Put in a 40 watt spot bulb and you're good to go. I started using one of these in the early 90's when I discovered that dry flies in the 18 - 20 sizes were my best producer. You can tie them without a magnifier but when you use one you can make a #20 as perfectly as you can a #12 because that's what it looks like.

For the winter I just got a bunch of small hooks 6 & 8's and will make up a box full of mini salmon / trout wets. I need to tie some dry flies because I promised some to a guy in France Those flies better be as close to perfect as I can get Other than that I must have 1000 flies and that might be a Conservative estimate, I guess I'll make them just to stay sharp at it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-18-2010, 07:20 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Thanks Ant. Yeah, same thing that I thought. Try it or you never will. Fun thread seeing what others tie.

Big problem Frank. Those little tiny feathers at the very top of my necks are bigger than they look. Got a few #22's but that is it. Luckily, like you, I mostly tie para's. so may just over-hackle some #24's.
*found a picture of a #32 Humpy on the internet, wow.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:06 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I am pretty good about keeping my fly boxes stocked. I just need to replace some January through March flies. There are two hatches that I really need to concern myself with. Those are the Skwala stonefly and the March Brown mayfly.

Last year, I tied a very pale olive colored rubberlegs stonefly for the nymph and a Chernobyl style bodied foam fly for the adult.

I pretty much tie plain March Browns. For the nymph, I tie a brown Hare's Ear (as opposed to natural tan). The emerger is a soft hackle. I tie the adult Cahill styled fly in the corresponding color.

MP