The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 11:37 AM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default How Do You Get Flies To Look "Like New" Again?

Hey y'all,

After fishing, using streamers this weekend, I noticed that they all look like they are still wet and all matted together. After I rinse them off when I get back home, I dry them with a towel, but they never do look even close to as good as they did before I used them.
I hope that at least a couple people know what I'm talking about... I don't know how to describe it. lol

How do you get the feathers and all the material spread out again, all dried out, and make it not look like a clumped together mess.
I'm pretty anal retentive about my stuff, but if there isn't anything that I can do, I guess I will have to just get over it. haha.

Thanks y'all,
HookEmHorns
Old 03-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How Do You Get Flies To Look "Like New" Again?

Hookem,

You can boil water in a tea pot and while holding flies with forceps steam them in the stream of vapor coming from the spout. This works very well.

Ard
Old 03-16-2009, 12:38 PM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about

Doesn't matter what they look like in the box, it's what they look like in the water that counts.
I actually prefer them to be matted in the box; makes it easier to pluck one out without inadvertently grabbing marabou from three others.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:46 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

You can spend your time steaming them over the teakettle as Hardy says but you have to understand that as soon as they hit the water they will go to a rested shape. If you have kinked or badly bent feathers it might be worth steaming but IMHO it's not necessary........