The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

View Poll Results: Moffitt angling system
Yes 2 4.26%
No 20 42.55%
Unkown, never used or seen used. 25 53.19%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 07:14 AM

Aljack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: moffitt angling system

I'm not sure if you are referring to using a 2 fly / dropper setup or what is referred to as a 2 hook trolling fly setup. The tandem 2 hook trolling fly is illegal in certain waters where the regs call for a single hook (quite often specifying "barbless" too). However, on those same waters, one can use a dropper fly set up, as long as each fly has a single hook. A problem with the "Moffit" system in regards to a lot of the regs is that the hook is not "dressed", it is not part of the imitation that is intended to fool the fish; it is a bare hook at the end of the line.

I think if one were fishing with bad intentions, it would be far easier to snag fish with the Moffit system. A fish with a fly hooked half way down it's flanks is defined as a snagged fish; with the Moffit system, one could argue that the fish had taken the imitation in it's mouth and the hook just happened to attach itself elsewhere.

I'm not passing judgement on this system. I am just trying to state that there are regs in place on certain waters that this would not be allowed (And some places have some regs that seem odd). If I had paid megabucks on some dream fishing trip and this was the way my guide said to fish, believe me, I would have no hesitations about using it.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

You can always use chum and a weighted treble hook for the same results
One good thing to take from this is the circle hooks. I've been using them in saltwater for years, both bait fishing and when tieing most saltwater flies (only my clousers are tied on straight hooks). They work well and they rarely get swallowed, making for an easy release.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:03 AM

Aljack is on a distinguished road

There used to be (maybe still is) a "snagging" section on the Salmon River (or was it the Oswego?). Whatever the regs are, they should be followed and more importantly, enforced.

BTW - Swirlchaser, that's one nice striper
Old 04-21-2009, 07:31 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljack View Post
There used to be (maybe still is) a "snagging" section on the Salmon River (or was it the Oswego?). Whatever the regs are, they should be followed and more importantly, enforced.

BTW - Swirlchaser, that's one nice striper
A few years back I spent 2 weeks in Sacramento for a training class
It was during the Salmon run and I happened to have a 4 pcs casting rod in my suitcase. I found a bridge full of fishermen on the American River and I squeezed in. I can tell you there is a fine line between jigging and snagging.
Not a single fish came up with the hooks in its mouth.
Thanks Aljack, that's the best on a fly for last season. Hopefully I beat it this season.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:34 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I fished the Feather River north of Sacramento for Salmon several years. All we used was a single hook with 1,2, or 3 small beads pegged ahead of the hook. Not much diffference. Most fsh were hooked on the outside of the mouth. Also another vote for circle hooks. Thats all I use now for saltwater, freshwater bass and even crappie.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:25 AM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

I have ordered the system from Mr. Moffitt. As the circle hook will not hook the fish in the body by design but only in the lip I do not see the connection to blind snagging with a J hook that will snag a fish where ever it makes contact..People snag with trebble hooks below some tailwaters which I don't care to do.. Moffitt however feels the system makes for an easier release of the fish which is what we all strive to do.. I will try it..My mind is open to the idea..
Old 04-27-2009, 07:57 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

After a lot o thought, i ordered the Early Season Freestone Starter Kit, And for catch and release, its a great system.. The fish has to take the fly for you to hook it, and when you hook the fish, it is almost always through the lips of the trout. Ive only killed a few trout because of a swallowed fly, but it still makes me sad when they don't make it.

If you consider this system snagging, then you have a different definition then i do.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrowntrout2 View Post
After a lot o thought, i ordered the Early Season Freestone Starter Kit, And for catch and release, its a great system.. The fish has to take the fly for you to hook it, and when you hook the fish, it is almost always through the lips of the trout. Ive only killed a few trout because of a swallowed fly, but it still makes me sad when they don't make it.

If you consider this system snagging, then you have a different definition then i do.
I think the problem is that people see that "loose" hook and assume the fish will be snagged. The hook may hit the fish somewhere other than the mouth but because it is a circle hook it will NOT snag the fish. It is very, very hard to snag a fish with a circle hook since the point is actually inside the bend.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:38 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I think the problem is that people see that "loose" hook and assume the fish will be snagged. The hook may hit the fish somewhere other than the mouth but because it is a circle hook it will NOT snag the fish. It is very, very hard to snag a fish with a circle hook since the point is actually inside the bend.
Thats right, so that makes this system a non snag system
Old 05-14-2009, 04:36 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
I fished the Feather River north of Sacramento for Salmon several years. All we used was a single hook with 1,2, or 3 small beads pegged ahead of the hook. Not much diffference. Most fsh were hooked on the outside of the mouth. Also another vote for circle hooks. Thats all I use now for saltwater, freshwater bass and even crappie.

I fished the Kenai river in Alaska last year, and while a pegged bead and a bare hook is the most successful trout lure, there are very specific rules; only a single bead is allowed, and the bead must be pegged less than 2 inches above the hook, so when the trout inhales the bead, they also inhale the hook; this results in almost all hook-ups occurring in the corner of the mouth of the fish. The guides are very picky about protecting the trout populations and want to make sure that you hook them as carefully as possible. Multiple bead rigs are illegal, so the multiple fly rigs that are shown in all the Moffitt ads would also be illegal.

In addition, the Moffitt rig is illegal in my home state of Missouri, where a fly is defined as a single hook with permanently attached feather, fur or material. If you fish carefully, you will rarely foul hook a trout, where the Moffitt ads make it sound like it happens all the time. I might foul hook one trout a year while spending 50-60 days on the water.