The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

View Poll Results: Moffitt angling system
Yes 2 4.26%
No 20 42.55%
Unkown, never used or seen used. 25 53.19%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 09:26 AM

2Rymans is on a distinguished road
Default Re: moffitt angling system

I know i haven't been hear very long, and some may say I haven't paid my dues to have express an opinion, but I will.

I think this is the most ridiculous argument I've heard in a long time. It's right up there with "true sportsmen only use silk line, or barbless hooks, or only salmon fish with dry flies..........

If you hook a fish on the inside of the jaw your golden but if you hook them in the outside of the jaw your a traitor and should turn in your rod. Unbelievable! IS it the round hook that offends people? Is it that there is no "fur" attached to the hook? or that it's used like a dropper? If I tie an egg to the hook does that make it OK? I believe that some people's idea of "tradition" and their philosophy of what's "sporting" or not has become scued(sp). We all try to catch fish as best we can without doing unnecessary harm to the fish. I don't see why someone would object to a system that claims to prevent unintended snagging or swallowing of the hook.

JMHO
2rymans
Old 07-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I had never heard of this system,after watching the video on the site...I'm not convinced.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:14 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

hey 2rymans,

the reason i object to it is because the fish till could hold onto the fly and you could hook the fish anywhere othere than just the outside of the mouth like on the tail, its back, in it's eye, and yes its possible to hook a fish in the eye, i have seen baitfisherman do it

i think it's probably just a personal choice made by the fly fisherman. it seems most of us object to it but some other people out there may feel it is safer for the fish.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 07-28-2009, 01:16 PM

2Rymans is on a distinguished road

TW, I'm sorry if you felt that was aimed at you, it wasn't but to answer your response, I believe that with the round hook it is a heck of a lot less likely you would snag a fin or eye than with a standard/conventional hook. That is one of the benefits of it being round. I believe there is a lot more damage being done by barbs to a fishes mouth than anything these hooks could cause.

Sorry if you took my comments personally!
2rymans
Old 07-28-2009, 02:06 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

hey 2rymans,

yeah, its fine i responded because i wantedm to try to clear up some things. i did take it a little personally because i'm completely against snagging and i feel this is snagging.

i understand your response now that you clarified. its all good.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 07-30-2009, 01:56 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Rymans View Post
I know i haven't been hear very long, and some may say I haven't paid my dues to have express an opinion, but I will.

I think this is the most ridiculous argument I've heard in a long time. It's right up there with "true sportsmen only use silk line, or barbless hooks, or only salmon fish with dry flies..........

If you hook a fish on the inside of the jaw your golden but if you hook them in the outside of the jaw your a traitor and should turn in your rod. Unbelievable! IS it the round hook that offends people? Is it that there is no "fur" attached to the hook? or that it's used like a dropper? If I tie an egg to the hook does that make it OK? I believe that some people's idea of "tradition" and their philosophy of what's "sporting" or not has become scued(sp). We all try to catch fish as best we can without doing unnecessary harm to the fish. I don't see why someone would object to a system that claims to prevent unintended snagging or swallowing of the hook.

JMHO
2rymans

2Rymans - most of the comments in this thread are not an argument, this is a discussion between many people who fly fish using many different methods across the entire country. You will note that I (and many others) did not rip the Moffitt system, but simply discussed whether it is a legal system where we fish. In my case (Missouri) it is not legal, since it does not meet the written definition as set down in the DNR Wildlife Codes (bare hooks are defined in the Wildlife Codes as snagging when used for trout fishing - with no exceptions). Also you cannot use multiple flies in a trophy trout fishing zone and a fly MUST have fur feathers or material permanently attached - so tying thread or an egg on the Moffitt circle hook would still be illegal (e.g. 2 flies). If it ever becomes legal I would consider trying it (although Moffett does appear to be a little pricey compared to tying a "regular/old-style" fly).

Now I agree there are a few folks stuck in the "traditions" mode, but like many things, it often takes people a while to get comfortable to new ideas and concepts, and the longer someone has been doing it the "old way" the longer it will take to get used to new methods. So when folks balk at a new method, remember that they are evaluating it based on standards established in many different places, states, laws and different times (traditions).

Like Troutwhisperer, I also think this looks like snagging, which can damage trout horribly. However - as you stated, I think using barbed hooks probably causes a lot of damage to many fishes mouths. Personally I prefer to use barbless hooks except when I occasionally plan to keep a fish.

Good luck fishing (no dues required!)
Old 08-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Fine system if you don't mind the following problems. It is intentionally foul hooking (snagging) a fish. It is illegal to do that in most states I have been in, including Minnesota where I am now. The IGFA has a list that will disqualify a catch. #5 is intentionally foul hooking or snagging a fish. I actually don't see where this is "New and Revolutionary". It is pegging beads to imitate eggs, where you replace the bead with a hookless fly. I have never considered pegging beads to be fly fishing. This may be closer to it because it is a fly of sorts, but it is still foul hooking a fish. Something that cost me a record last summer. (I never submitted it, because it was foul hooked) I noticed a couple of lines saying it is not snagging. However, most states and the IGFA define snagged or foul hooked to be a hook "OUTSIDE" the mouth. This the ONLY place this system gets them. Whether you like it or not it is snagging and may get you a ticket. If you care nothing about records, the laws in many states, don't take photos, and think a few seconds to find and remove a hook is to long, then it is a great system. You can go ahead and use it. The key word being "you".