Nymphs for the au sable (MI)

johnwest43

Reaction score
Anyone have some nymph patterns I can tie for the ausable, I have never fished nymphs before. Im tying some phesant tails and was wondering if anyone more expierenced than me had input on flies, and nymph fishing methods.

thanks

John

AlbertaFly

Reaction score
Anyone have some nymph patterns I can tie for the ausable, I have never fished nymphs before. Im tying some phesant tails and was wondering if anyone more expierenced than me had input on flies, and nymph fishing methods.

thanks

John
Well, nymph fishing if done in a river or stream can be fished with an indicator on a drift or as a dropper fly off of a dry.. stimulators etc etc.

On a lake I would fish them casting to rising trout, and slowly strip it back.. with a bead gets ya a little deeper quicker and in my mind makes the fly look that much better.
Try tying some hares ears too.. they are a real easy pattern to tie and can look deadly if you substitute and re-design it.

Im sure others have more to add, hope that helps

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
John, are you fishing the upper section or below Foote for Steel? If your fishing the Steelie run look to tie up some Hex patterns in sizes 8 down through 12. Also make sure you have some stone imitations again in size 8 down through 14. The other must IMO is caddis imitations, with the simple green rock worm being a must.

If you're fishing the upper sections hare's ears in a variety of sizes and colors to match what is active. Both stones and caddis should also be in your upper river box; your choice of the PT nymphs is a good pick.

Tight Lines,

Dan

Reaction score
John,
If you're fishing the upper river by Grayling. mainstream, South or North Branch. Then may i suggest Beadhead Prince Nymphs or Beadhead Pheasant tails, Rainbow Warriors & Red or Copper Copper Johns. I wouldn't go larger then 14's. 14's & 16's always work for me. Fish them on 5X or 6X. I fish 1 pattern on a dropper about 2' above bottom fly.1 little split shot about 8" above point fly. Indicator about 2 - 3 times longer then water depth. Keep an eye on your point fly as if you're not cleaning off caddis cases off the point of the hook then your not ticking the bottom. I live in Grayling and guide on the Au Sable and my favorite fishing is nymphing.
Good Luck, Bob
UP NORTH ANGLERS - MICHIGANS FINEST FLY FISHING GUIDE SERVICE

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
Try a Pete's Pheasent Caddis, a easy pattern which isn't that well known.

Pete's Pheasent Caddis:
Hook:TMC 2457 12-16...18
Bead:Copper, sized to match the hook
Thread:Tan or Brown 8/0 (if you feel your up to it. if not use 6/0)
Ribbing:Copper wire
Body:pheasent tail, tied in by butts, and wrap herl style
Legs:pheasent tail tip fibres, tied beard style
Thorax:peacock herl

I added the materials list in the order in which you tie them in. It's a nice fly
but the bead isn't optional, so if you don't have 'em, your stuck 'till ya get some:icon_frow